Siphon Break leaking back

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Windseeker

Siphon Break leaking back

Post by Windseeker »

This is in the shower sump. After the water is pumped out, you can hear the siphon gurgling as the water flows back into the shower sump and kicks the pump back on. This can go on and on, over and over until I shut off the sea cock valve and turn off the pump. Is there some item to adjust or some maintenance procedure to stop this? Normally the pump is off and the sea cock closed, but I'm about to spend a week on the boat and would rather not have to unload the bathroom cabinet just to take a shower. Any Ideas?

Also, beware that if you have this problem do not forget to close that sea cock as your boat will flood sea water into the bilge. Could drain your batteries and sink the boat if left unnoticed.
s/v: Wind Seeker
Hull #75
Chester River - Chesapeake Bay
jking

Re: Siphon Break leaking back

Post by jking »

Hi,
Its a simple fix, new anti siphon valve (tiny duck bill plastic thing) Forespar MF841, 903002, about $8-$12.
Jan - Hull #303
Richard Ad

Post by Richard Ad »

Hello Windseeker: my shower sump did the exact same thing last week. After it pumped out it would siphon sea water back into the shower sump. I held the float switch closed just to see if it would continue and the sea water just kept coming in. I shut off the through hull sea cock, took the siphon duck bill valve off, cleaned and inspected it, put it back on and it seems fine now. However, this was very disconcerting having sea water flow back into the shower sump. It made me wonder if the hose loop is high enough above the sea water level to prevent siphoning. I now close the shower through hull when the shower is not being used. Just one more item on my "Boat Departure" check list.
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

To All:
It could happen
My valve did the same thing. Gave me quite a scare!!!!
The bilge pump was running late at night and I got up to check it out.
Got my feet wet!!!!!
I have replaced the valve and coated it with a little silicone spray.
This seems to have kept it from sticking shut, and allowing the back flow.
So far it has worked for three years. It is now a regular item on the check list in the spring along with the other valves in the engine system.
Good luck, carry a spare and keep your feet dry.

PS. I installed a small pizzioelectric alarm (radio shack) across the bilge pump light so when the pump
runs I can hear an alarm.

Leigh Weiss Brisa #155
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Windseeker

Post by Windseeker »

Thanks Jking. That was the ticket. WM had it in stock. I left everything on overnight (plugged into shore power). Seems to be holding.
s/v: Wind Seeker
Hull #75
Chester River - Chesapeake Bay