Selden Main Furler Protective Cover

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Selden Main Furler Protective Cover

Post by TBOT422 »

On the Selden main furler, there is a small black plastic cover inside the mast at the bottom of the furler as shown below. Ours has deteriorated due to sun exposure and simply crumbles into dust when you touch it and has completely disappeared. My question is, has anyone else had this problem? Does the cover have any function other than as a dust cover? (i.e. does it help hold something together?) Can it be replaced without removing the mast? What other means might I use to keep the furler bearing clean and lubricated?
Selden Furler Gear Cover.JPG
Selden Furler Gear Cover.JPG (24.85 KiB) Viewed 2012 times
Thanks
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
TBOT422

Re: Selden Main Furler Protective Cover

Post by TBOT422 »

Here's what Selden had to say:

Hi Gary, you are correct about the part number for the protective rubber ring. You are fine to continue sailing without it, just keep the bearings flushed out with freshwater every so often. The ring can be replaced with the mast up, but the main sail must be removed and the drive unit disconnected from the aft face of the mast. Maybe a good project for the off season.

You can order the ring from any Selden dealer. Part number 540-126. Retail price is listed at $22.00. List of Selden dealers can be found on our website www.seldenmast.com

Thanks

Scott Williman
Aftermarket Sales Manager
Seldén Mast Inc.
4668 Franchise St.
North Charleston, SC 29418
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)