Removing Water Tanks

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

KevinMc

Removing Water Tanks

Post by KevinMc »

I am replacing the tank level monitoring system this weekend and will be removing the water tanks to install the copper strips to the side of the tanks. I figure it's going to take longer and be harder than I imagined. Just wondering if there are any words of wisdom before I start.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
KenKrawford

Re: Removing Water Tanks

Post by KenKrawford »

Kevin if you're using the kits made by Dennis Ferriello, I'd give him a call (435-656-0042) and see if there might be an easier way. I would think that there might be enough clearance around the tank to use a small piece of tape and use it to attach the foil to a thin stick (think long paint stirrer) and slip it between the tank and the enclosure. The foil has adhesive on one side and once stuck to the tank, the tape should easily release.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

The kits are from Dennis and I'll give it a try. Thanks.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
Palmettomoon350

Post by Palmettomoon350 »

I have to do the same and I will be leaving the tanks in. Why do you feel the need to remove the tanks? It might be tight but I believe I can get a hand down beside the old tape and add the replacement tape.

Carl Beckmann
Palmetto Moon # 223
KevinMc

Post by KevinMc »

Update - The new tank monitor is the same size and fits perfectly in the hole. The screw connectors on the monitor for the sensor wires make it a nicer unit than the old monitor.
Aft water tank - plenty of room between the tank and the bulkhead to install the new tape and sensors.
Waste tank - plenty of room to install the new tape and sensors.
Forward water tank - Is there ever a repair/upgrade on a boat which doesn't take twice a long and needs more parts? Very tight space between the tank and the bulkhead (about 1 inch) so I knew I would need to get a little more room to work in. While moving the tank to get "just more inch of space" the 90 degree water line plastic fitting for the water line on the bottom of the tank broke. Once that broke the tank could be completely removed so on the positive side it was REAL easy to install the new tape and sensor. Amazingly the plastic fitting which broke is a standard size available at the local home improvement big box store for about $3. Add in another few feet of hose to make the connection to the water line easier and the forward tank with the new monitor was installed.

System is up and running without any issue and Dennis at Ferriello Sales was awesome! Sent him an email in the middle of the install with a question on which tank sensor goes to which set of screws on the back of the tank monitor and he called me back in about 10 minutes. Can't say enough good things about him and his company.
Kevin
NavSta Norfolk Marina
Aussie Mate

Post by Aussie Mate »

I replaced the original tank monitor about a year ago. I made sure the forward was empty which allowed to place the tape. I had the tape loosely attached to a paint stirring stick, placed it and used the stick to smooth it down. Aft tank was straight forward.
Bruce Whyte
s/v Aussie Mate
C350 #357