Electric winch installation

Post your technical questions or solutions about getting the best performance out of your boat here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

hperros

Electric winch installation

Post by hperros »

I am thinking of installing an electric winch on the starboard side on top of the cabin, and I hope someone can help me out with some questions that I have. I am thinking of getting the Lewmar EVO electric 40 from the Defender. They seem to have good prices.

1. The current winch is a 32 but the smallest size in electric winches is a 40. It seems that it will fit in the specially designed base where the current winch sits.
2. If I understood well, I should be able to use the same tapped holes in the metal under the fiberglass for the bolts. Is this correct?
3. What is the size of the electric wires used to connect to the battery? Same as the battery cables or can one use smaller size?
4. I understand that you can slip the wires from under the winch back to the cockpit locker. From there, would I have to run them all the way back to the transom and then to the port side where all the other wires are, or is it possible to run them under the quarter birth, then through the engine compartment and join the cables from the alternator?
5. Crucial question. Is there enough space above the screwed cover over the galley for the motor or is it going to stick out?
6. Finally, Lewmar sells this ELS controller. Is this necessary?

Too many questions.. my apologies, but I would appreciate any information before I commit to this project.

Thanks
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
tranquil

Re: Electric winch installation

Post by tranquil »

I just bought an e-wincher rather than an electric winch. Can be used on any/all winches, at different speeds or manually. Stores similar to a regular winch handle and comes with its own storage bag. No installation, just pop it in and go! Can be sold separately from the boat if/when the boat sells.

After I researched electric winches and upgrade to kits, I decided on e-wincher. Just food for thought

Good luck!
Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
hperros

Re: Electric winch installation

Post by hperros »

Terri
After thinking about it,I decided to take your advice and get the e-wincher !! It seems well-designed. According to the specs the battery lasts for at least a day's sailing. I also liked the fact that it only takes a few amps to recharge the battery. Another issue is that the installation of the electric winch would have taken me sometime, and the boat yards around here are very busy. I am glad that it has a teether, because I was concerned about it going overboard !!
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331