Whale Gusher 10 Repacement

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Interlude35

Whale Gusher 10 Repacement

Post by Interlude35 »

Our manual bilge pump, a Whale Gusher 10 Mark 3, has internal corrosion and needs to be replaced. Does anyone know of a suitable replacement that will fit in the same area, be less expensive and last longer? Thank you
John & Marilyn Ferguson
Interlude (#316)
Lagniappe

Re: Whale Gusher 10 Repacement

Post by Lagniappe »

Hello, I checked my Whale Gusher 10 Mk 3 today and only got about 3 or 4 pumps of flow out of it before it quit. I took it apart and found the die cast body was badly corroded with the paint chipped off and clogging the flapper valves. I checked online and found a review where a guy claimed the Whale Titan, with a plastic body, will bolt up in the same space. I ordered the Titan and will try. It's rated at 28 GPM, which is better that the old pump, with is only rated at 17 GPM. Will see...
Lagniappe, Hull #385
russp

Post by russp »

Wow, what lousy timing. I found same deal with my Whale Gusher Mk 10 a couple of months ago and paid AUD300+ for a new one, now looks like I could have replaced with Whale Titan which costs about AUD120 and isn't subject to corrosion. Bu......er!

Will be interested to hear if it fits in easily.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Lagniappe

Post by Lagniappe »

The Whale Gusher Titian worked out fine. Just a couple of issues - bolt holes don't quite line up and had to buy longer bolts than what was included with the pump - 4 at M6x80mm.
Lagniappe, Hull #385
russp

Post by russp »

So what does not "quite" line up mean? Did you have to drill out the holes on the pump, or on the hull, or, or? Longer bolts easy enough to deal with.

Thanks for follow up.

Russ
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Lagniappe

Post by Lagniappe »

Yes, the holes were about 1/4 " off so I had to drill new ones. Bolts were threaded into the pump, instead of being through bolts with nuts, like the Gusher 10. Bolts that came with the pump were too short. Had to buy 6mmx80mm bolts to use.
Lagniappe, Hull #385