removable bench seat behind wheel?

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

nybor

removable bench seat behind wheel?

Post by nybor »

Hello all.
Can someone explain what the diagonal cutouts on the removable seat are for? It is the piece that one removes to gain access to the swim platform. It looks like they should hook into something, but have no idea if so and where.

thanks

dave
leigh weiss

Re: removable bench seat behind wheel?

Post by leigh weiss »

Dave,
I use these to hang the unit on the life lines when it is out.
That was my guess as to function.
Maybe someone else has a better use!
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
Chappie

Post by Chappie »

Hi there, We have the Catalina 36 MK11 and we wondered the same thing about the removable seat. Another friendly Catalina owner told us that this slit is to hook the seat over the second top rung of the drop down ladder (while it is still in it's upright/pulled up position.....This makes a small seat/lean to for leaning against whilst steering and gives you much more room for manoeuvring around the back of the wheel - works a treat. The guy who told us about this has the same set up on his Catalina 32 MK11......maybe the 35 is different, but I suspect they are the same set up....
L and L from Yacht Chappie
nybor

Post by nybor »

Thanks to both of you! I also thought that they must hook onto a 1" tube somewhere. Not sure if I would SIT on it, but as a lean-to, sounds great.

thanks again.

dave

ps. When Lee makes a suggestion, I ALWAYS do the opposite - works for me!!!
ldirubbo

Post by ldirubbo »

The diagonal cut outs are so you can hook the seat to the rail outboard keeping it out of the way when using the swim platform. You should also have a slat that fits under the seat to stop items that fall on the deck from rolling overboard, like small children and pets.
nybor

Post by nybor »

Thanks. Yes, I do have the slide plate to stop stuff from spilling out.

dave

ps. Leigh, not LEE. Remember, by law, we engineers are allowed to round off to the nearest letter.

d
AynB

Post by AynB »

Hull #17 has the bench seat ( still wrapped in factory paper ) and has no cutout , groove or other shape to allow it to hang. We're soooo jealous. :-)
al
C350ia

Post by C350ia »

Our used 2005 Catalina 350 did not come with the behind the wheel bench seat! Is anyone interested in selling us one?
rickkremel

Post by rickkremel »

I have a 2005 350 unused seat you can have for $100 plus shipping.
C350ia

Post by C350ia »

Rickkermel,
We would very much like to buy the seat. Sorry for the long delay, we were away on the boat.
How do we go about this.
Erik&Sharon