Spare Hoses for Universal M35-B

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

dpaulo

Spare Hoses for Universal M35-B

Post by dpaulo »

I'm trying to obtain spare hoses for Ease Alee before I remove the heat exchanger. I need to find the wire-inserted pieces (part numbers 015774 and 019059) and Westerbeke distributor suggested that I buy these straight hoses from any "hose shop" as they will sell only in 4' length (I need 11" and 26"). The problem is that I cannot find a source that has 7/8" and 1 1/8" diameter hose with wire-inserterd (although those are common sizes without the wire). Has anyone found a convenient source for these hoses without buying the extra length, AND what thoughts do you have about replacing with standars hoses (i.e. Non wire-inserted)?

p.s. I have all of the other spare hoses so am not ready to buy a complete hose kit for $200+.
TBOT422

Re: Spare Hoses for Universal M35-B

Post by TBOT422 »

I don't know where you live, but I bought them at Goodyear Rubber Products. http://www.goodyearrubberproducts.com/

Good Luck
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
bibbjs

Post by bibbjs »

I would be wary of putting hoses without reinforcement in. The main reason it is there is for support of the hose and keeping it from either collapsing or kinking during operation. Oddly enough, I have not spent enough time "under the hood" to really get a sense of if either of these are a problem, but I suspect that they were put there for a reason.

J.
J. Bibb
Magick Dragon (formerly Snooze Time)
Hull #45
dpaulo

Post by dpaulo »

Thanks for the replies! I do see one of the two hoses (they have the 1 1/8" hose but not the 7/8") in the Goodyear catalog, but a trek to local Goodyear store was disappointing as they referred me to a nearby auto parts store and said that they had nothing to do with goodyear online. I've spent more running to local stores and shops than I would have lost by ordering the expensive ones from Westerbeke. For certain if you need the whole set the WEsterbeke replacement kit is the best deal.
I'll keep looking but at this time I have removed, cleaned and reinstalled my heat exchanger with two new HEx clamps, 2 new hoses, and reinstalled two used hoses that are still in good shape. I will order the replacement hoses! Dan , Ease Alee, Hull#3
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

If you have a local Goodyear Rubber Products store, they should have no problem identifying 7/8" marine hardwall wet exhaust hose. A local store should have it in stock and cut it to any length you want. 'Hardwall' means that it has the wire in it. You definitely want to always replace a wire reinforced hose with another wire reinforced hose. My invoice says part no was 250-0786 and cost $7.71/foot.

I will say it was a little difficult to connect to the HE after I reinstalled the HE. I found it easier to uninstall the HE so that I could move it around and get the hose properly attached, then reinstall the HE.

West Marine will also have hardwall marine wet exhaust hoses.

Good Luck
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)