mounting electronics on pod

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tpeyser

mounting electronics on pod

Post by tpeyser »

I purchased a new 2008 350 MK II and am working with my dealer mounting the electronics (a C-80 chart plotter and three other electronic devices - wind, speed,depth). The Catalina website shows the installation as one pod for the chartplotter right above the compass (on the angle) and then a horizontal placement of the three units on a spearate pod above. It looks great. My dealer installed all four devices on one big pod and it looks kind of wonky. He cautions me that the installation as per the Catalina website will interfere with the engine shut off valve, the perspective on the compass, and will make viewing the chartplotter more difficult. I was wondering if anyone had experience with the set up as shown on the website and if they encountered the problems as per my dealer's suggestion. Thanks so much.
Tim April IV

Re: mounting electronics on pod

Post by Tim April IV »

Well, I've got an "old" C350 (they're not called Mk I's I guess....), but from the picture of the new MkII's on the website, I guess I'd have to agree that the pod and instruments mounted like that do seem like they'd get in the way of both the Fuel Shutoff/Engine Stop, and reading the compass.
http://www.catalinayachts.com/ViewPic.c ... destal.jpg

Are you planning on getting an autopilot? One of the things I don't understand is why Catalina or the dealers don't make a better effort at utilizing the limited amount of space by using combined instruments. Raymarine makes a cool "tri-data" unit that gives speed, depth (and something else) all on one dial face. So now in the three instrument cluster space that was available on the factory pedestal on the older boats (similar to what is shown on this link to a C375 picture),
http://www.catalinayachts.com/ViewPic.c ... 5-9931.jpg
you could have Autopilot, Wind and the Tridata! Otherwise, to add the wind unit to the more commonly installed speed, depth and autopilot, you need to find a place to mount the fourth display.

Also in the linked picture above, I gotta say that the radar/chartplotter display looks huge! Not just the screen size, the but the large bulb-like appendage on the back looks very ungainly.
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
tpeyser

Post by tpeyser »

Tim. Thanks. Sorry - my error. I do have three smaller electronic displays (speed and depth, wind, and autopilot) and the larger plotter - sorry for the confusion. Same set up as you saw on the website. They put it on a large rectangular pod with GPS in the center, two displays on one side and the third on the other side. Probably more functional but not as clean in appearance. Thanks for your reply.
RCattell

Post by RCattell »

Hey Guys,

I have the first 350 Mk II, #451. It differs from the newer ones in that the tridata, wind and autopilot are housed in the pedestal. The compass is then on top of this and a navpod on an angle with a C-80 above this, I like our setup. The engine shutoff is not a problem and the compass is a little hard to see but it is manageable. I tried to post a picture, but the file was too big. Enjoy the new boat, we are!!!
Richard Cattell
S/V Rachael Lynn
Catalina 350 Mk II
tpeyser

Post by tpeyser »

Richard. Thanks for the reply. I am surprised to hear that the electroncs setup on your hull #451 is so different from my #480. I'd love to see your setup. I think I will keep mine the way the dealer installed - at least for this season. There are pluses and minuses but the cost to redo it at this point (not to mention the timing of getting the boat in the water in 3 weeks) is the biggest minus. Thanks and if you figure out how to upload the picture, I'd love to see it.