Catalina 350 versus 36

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

dukie

Catalina 350 versus 36

Post by dukie »

I am a long time Hobie Cat sailor about to buy my first big boat. I summer in New England and plan to use the boat mostly for day sails and a few 1-2 week trips along around New England. No plans for blue water sailing or serious racing.

I was convinced that the Catalina 350 (~2003-2005) was the best combination of performance, comfort, value and style for me until my broker had me look at a 2003 Catalina 36 recently. I liked the looks of both boats but prefer the cabin and cockpit of the 350. My broker feels that both the 350 and 36 are great boats but that the 36 is more "athletic".

I know everything is a trade off but I don't want to make a major performance sacrifice for a more comfortable boat. Any input on the performance differences (e.g. hull speed, pointing ability....) between the two boats would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your input and I expect to be part of this fleet next summer.
wolfe10

Re: Catalina 350 versus 36

Post by wolfe10 »

This is going to be a difficult one, as it would be unusual that any of us have enough experience in different conditions with the two boats.

http://www.phrfne.org/page/567 shows that the PHRF ratings of the Wing Keel 350 and wing keel 36' (i.e. came configuration to same configuration) is EXACTLY THE SAME at 147.

So, at least PHRF doesn't see a difference in the boats.

From the sailing experience I have, the 350 is a lot more "liveable" and both motors and sails better than I expected (last boat Pacific Seacraft Crealock 37'). Only negative is that is more of a handful in following seas (as her wide "hiney" is moved around more than the much finer aft end of the 36').

So, were I going across a lot of blue water (which I would not do in either boat), the nod would go to the 36'. But for all other conditions, the 350 wins.

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
R.B.

Post by R.B. »

I have experience with both boats. My boat neighbour for the last 4 years has the 36 (one year different, same engine, same wing keel). We compare boats constantly. Both of us like the 350 for the roominess inside. I have the inmast furling he has the regular rig. We both love our in-mast for cruising. The 36 is a thru deck mast, and the 350 is deck stepped. There are plusses and minuses to both. We sail together on our trips so same conditions. The 36 has had water in the cockpit from following seas and I haven't. The 36 in light winds kicks the 350's butt, however in heavy winds the 36 reefs earlier (although this could be because of our different masts). I like the systems layout better on the 36 eg. access to water heater, plumping, pumps etc. Freezer and fridge are way better on the 36. However I prefer the layout below over the traditional sail boat as on the 36. My neighbour prefers the 36 layout. I also like the nonskid pattern on the 36 better from a looks point of view, practically though, I slip less on the 350's wet deck than on the 36.

Anything else specific, just ask.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

We've always liked the 36. In fact when we purchased our 350 2-1/2 years ago, we were shopping for a 36. As to performance, I think they are quite close. A friend of ours recently purchased a 36 and we have been in a couple of casual club races in the Gulf. The 36 did finish ahead of us in the races with pretty light winds, but only by a few seconds in a 3-4 hour elapsed time. That could easily be attributed to how much cruising gear the Admiral has loaded in the 'aft garage' of our 350. If we fly our cruising spinnaker on a reach or a down wind leg, we easily out run the 36. I've never sailed the 36, but every time our friend comes over for a cocktail, he gushes over the roominess of the cockpit. All-in-all we're quite happy with the 350. I do wish it had the folding salon table like the 36. We almost never use the salon table, and folding it up against the bulkhead would be a great way to get it out of the way.

Good Luck
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
dukie

Post by dukie »

All:

Thank you very much for the valuable responses. Looks like I can't go wrong either way and I hope to be part of the Catalina "family" next summer! Probably behind the help of a 350.

Jeff