Condensation inside Instruments Gauges

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Condensation inside Instruments Gauges

Post by Guest »

We just signed a contract to purchase a 350 and quite excited. Anyway, we noticed a buildup of condensation inside the engine instrument gauges and thought perhaps these were not properly sealed. Anyone have a similar experience or knowlegeable about condensation?

Jim
KenKrawford

Common Problem

Post by KenKrawford »

I think others will back me up on this - it appears that moisture inside the instruments on the pedestal has been a frequent problem on the C350. Mine was more noticeable when I first took delivery that it has been recently. I don't think it causes any long term problems. The moisture will evaporate when the light in the gauges comes on during engine operation.
Congratulations on your new boat - you're going to love it! Welcome aboard.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Tim April IV

Common Issue

Post by Tim April IV »

Agreed - I think we all see it to some degree.
Tim Brogan
April IV C350 #68
Seattle
Last Boat

Post by Last Boat »

I have this problem also, sometimes I cannot read any of the instruments . I called the manufacturer-Seaward Products-Engine Panel PB-4702. They say this has been reported, they have researched and cannot duplicate the problem in their lab. They are asking us to supply them with any information that may help them resolve this problem. Lon Schultz (562-699-7997 x213) would like to discuss any constructive information about this problem. In my sailing area (North Carolina), damp due falls most nights and with an early morning departure, my moisture level is very high. Lon recommended I use a cover over the engine panel until we can get a resolve and this has helped a lot.
Nelson Gainey
Last Boat
C350 #345
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I also have the problem, hull 208. It seems to be the worst on the tack, right overthe engine hours. Bonnie, who road with me when Gerry Douglas rode along to hear the prop cavitation, told Gerry about her problems with it, she has had to replace gauges as they have later failed. I think Hans also had the problem and was told be Catalna to drill holes in the underside of the pedistal. But Gerry said don't do that!! I think there is a common problem, and not a solution.
I'm in Tampa.

Post by Guest »

I believe this has been an issue with all gauges in Seaward panels for many years. I had a 1989 Catalina 30 where the gauges fogged up with substantial condensation, which seemd to burn off after they are on for a while. My C350 (#229) also has condensation, just as my 30 did. The gauges on my 30 lasted for about 13 years in this condition without a problem before I traded it in on the C350, so I am not too worried about this in the C350.
Copacetic

My two cents

Post by Copacetic »

I've seen references on other sites or periodicals, which I can't remember. But someone felt confident that the source of the moisture was from the pedestal and a lack of a moisture seal on the inside bottom. I have not yet had a chance to examine this location, but I believe the equipment is secure from external sources of "wetness" sufficiently. And I agree with Triumph...smack dab right over the engine hours!
Scott Townsend
Copacetic #190
Oceanside CA

Post by Guest »

:) The condensation in the in the instrument guages is nothing to worry about. I had it on my 310 and it happens on my 350. When the engine is running, the guages will clear from the heat of the illumination in the guages. Condensation is a fact of life in a marine environment.
Tim
Joel Indulgence

Foggy gauges

Post by Joel Indulgence »

My wife and I recently motored for 4 hours on a recent trip, the gauges were fogged the whole trip. I keep the pedestal covered at all times. My newest problem is that the Raymarine G.P.S. is also fogging up, it does clear up after several hours. It is a thoroughly annoying problem. Joel :shock:
Pgtjs

Re: Condensation inside Instruments Gauges

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi there all, I have had excessive condensation on all the guages and got no help from the dealer even when the boat was new. Eventually the fuel guage failed altogether and was replaced under warranty. It has just failed again (2 years later) whilst I was doing a lot of motoring up north in the fiords in Canada. So I am not a happy camper in this regard. Except that I found out from the local longtime marine electrician up there that the problem is the plastic bezel around the glass ages - he says the seal is not effective for long and in my case, rain runs down over the glass and gets into the instruments by penetrating under the bezel/glass intersection. He put in a temporary fix - a Hastings guage which seems to work perfectly without condensation, so my guess is that we have cheap poor quality instruments.

I noticed that the failed gas guage even had about 3/16ths of water visible inside the glass after I had to motor 4 or 5 hours in the rain. I have recently filled the "intersection" in the other instruments with very fine "liquid crack filler" and plan on seeing what happens over the next few months. I found the product at a boat show stall. Motoring and lighting heat did not help the problem - only extended periods in the hot sun solved it, albeit until it next rained. I'm interested if anyone else has found other solutions at this stage.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

We too are disappointed that our new boat of 2 weeks has condensation in the instruments. We have a bimini, but we did have some driving rain a week ago. It appears this issue has been going on for several years by the original date of this thread. I'm surpised it hasn't been resolved. (BTW, we have also experienced this with our new ski boat after only a year.) I notified the dealer today so I'm anxious to see what they say about it. Will let you know.
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi Friends,

I finally gave up on the bezel sealer and had the canvas guy make me a small clear cover - it covers all the Pedestal instruments for the engine and attaches with two press studs in the top corners - so rain cannot run down the instrument glass surfaces and penetrate through the bezels. Sometimes there is a lttle fogging for a few minutes but it goes away as soon as the engine warms up. I can take the cover off in dry warm weather. Summary - the instruments should be on a vertical plane and not inclined upwards. So the problem IMHO is with the pedestal design.

Cheers, Geoff. C350- 392, Blaine, WA.