Farewell Coquillage & Free Stuff

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

JerryRoss

Farewell Coquillage & Free Stuff

Post by JerryRoss »

It is with heavy heart and great sadness that I report the passing of our beloved Coquillage. She was mortally wounded by Hurricane Sally and is beached just west of Landfall Marina in Pensacola, FL. She is lying on her port side with keel buried in sand and leaning about 30 degrees. Her stern points west toward her birth place and her bow looks east toward her happy cruising areas. She was a Catalina C350 and born in 2005 with hull number 350. Her youth was spent in Kemah, TX, plying Galveston bay. In 2008, her family moved to Pensacola and she followed through the Intracoastal Canal and the enchanting Louisiana bayous. With Landfall Marina as her home port, she cruised the Florida west coast as far as Key West. She was a lovely lady, well outfitted, a joy to her family, never gave any trouble, and kept them safe and sound on Gulf crossings and in many anchorages. When not cruising, she enjoyed day sailing around her home port. Those memories will last forever.

Coquillage is a total loss with deck cracked in several places, holes in the hull, and everything inside soaked with salt water, mud, and battery acid. The inside appears to have been like a washing machine. There are some salvageable items other C350 owners may desire, particularly items that may not now be available new. Most of her deck hardware was not damaged including Charleston furling mast, boom with mainsail inside, traveler, roller furling forestay but jib is gone, jib tracks and blocks, anchor roller, and winches. All cockpit and stern locker covers are intact as are the companion way storm boards. The pedestal was protected with both plastic and fabric cover. The Raymarine C120 chartplotter and ST60 Tridata package and other instruments are probably undamaged. The engine is a possibility but may have been submerged in salt water. All this is offered free but you must arrange removal yourself. Given the 30-degree lean and total mess inside, removing some items will be difficult. Time is critical. My insurance company will take title soon, will likely remove the boat shortly afterwards, and indicate it will be taken to a “crushing yard” which is really sad. I can provide some pictures if you desire to evaluate salvaging anything. You may call or text me at 850-776-2270. Only C350 owners, no scavengers.
Jerry Ross
s/v Coquillage
Catalina 350, Hull #350
jbd3

Re: Farewell Coquillage & Free Stuff

Post by jbd3 »

I just wanted to wish you condolences on your loss and commend your generosity. We have a 2005 on the Gulf near Ft. Myers and an '06 on Lake Michigan so I share your appreciation of these craft. I'm glad you and yours are safe.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Wow Jerry, that's such a sad story. It must have been a heartbreaking sight when you saw her. It's probably due to my poor memory but I seem to recall that hull 350 went through another hurricane - maybe Katrina? Our boats are sisters - I have hull 351.
Best of luck wherever this journey takes you and thanks for the most generous salvage offer.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
rjengelhart

Post by rjengelhart »

A sad day. Good luck skipper.
vr
Bob Engelhart
SV Andiamo #464
Punta Gorda, FL