The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Airnsail

Post by Airnsail »

Hello All,

I just purchased a 2003 C350. I am new to this boat and to this forum. I have plenty of sailing experience. I currently also own a C270 (which I have had for almost 13 years). I also own a WindRider 17 Tri-maran. I live in Colorado, on the south side of Denver. I purchased my new boat "Lazy Dog" in Punta Gorda, FL. Currently, it is on the hard at Safe Cove Marina in Port Charlotte. It will be there until around late October. I then will be putting it in a slip at Burnt Store Marina. I will be coming down several times a year to use her.

I am open to any suggestions on maintenance, tips, sailing, and whatever else you think of. I have been on the C270 forum for years. She is in excellent shape. I am the third owner, with the last owner loving her for the last 11 years. They have taken extremely good care of her, just recently adding new electronics and a folding prop. Unfortunately, they had to sell her for health reasons (nothing overly serious).

Not sure what I am going to do with my C270 here in Colorado yet; time will tell. But certainly am looking forward to new experiences with Lazy Dog. I am a little familiar with the Punta Gorda/Ft. Myers area, as a close friend of mine has a Catamaran there. He lives on the south end of Pine Island. Have been there several times sailing his boat with him.

Hope all is well with everyone here. Talk to you down the road.

Mike Coulter
Henry2000boats

Re: New Member

Post by Henry2000boats »

Hey Mike, Congrats on your new boat purchase! My wife and I also have a 2003 C350; that we’ve had going on 3 years. There are guys within this association that are more tech savvy than I am; but I’ve learned a couple of things. You’ll need to have a bottom job at least every two years; I’m coming up on one; but in the meantime you’ll need to either have a diver or yourself to clean the bottom, sides, and stern every month at a minimum. You mention that it’s on the hard and you live in CO. That won’t be as big of an issue if you just drop it in and take it out when you come and go. With the price of slip fees may be an option. Cover the boat if you’re able. Bird poop will eat the outer layer of the fiberglass if not cleaned up before it hardens. I presume you have AC, If so you will need to regularly clean your strainer located in the bilge compartment. You’ll also need to flush the discharge lines to get an even strong flow from that unit. You’ll also need to clean your engine strainer (located under the aft berth mattress(s). That along with the ac needs to be done at least once a month. I now clean both every time I go out. Checking and replacing the anodes to help with your prop and engine to fight corrosion is a must! Engine Coolant and oil levels need to be checked regularly and changed every year or 100 hours. I like the synthetic oils myself. You can also add fuel and water additives that help keep the fuel and water tanks fresh. Bilge and head cleaners are also good for keeping the boat fresh and free from unwanted scents. The same basic comments go for a generator as for the engine if you have one. That’s my 2 cents worth. This Association is strong; there are guys that collectively (or individually) know everything in more detail about this boat. (a reason our broker steered us to this particular model). You’ll love the boat; we’ve also got that folding prop and it’s very sweet!
Airnsail

Post by Airnsail »

Thanks.

That is particularly why it is on the hard. It is getting a new bottom job. The previous owner did a great job keeping her in tip top shape. The yard says it needs to be sand blasted and start from scratch. I am going to have them do that. Now I need to decide if I want to use ablative again or a hard paint. I will have it cleaned monthly.

Thanks for the tips. They will go into my to do book.

Mike
scott.monroe

Post by scott.monroe »

Good morning Mike,

Check with the locals down at the marina, they'll give you the best guidance on what works. I have had both on my hull, hard paint when I was in Connecticut river which was fresh/brackish/salt. Hard worked real well there because it lasted a long time and nothing really grew because of the diversity of water types. But when I move up into salt only, ablative worked the best, especially in a barnacle heavy area that New England is. Lastly, you can put an ablative over the top of hard (with proper prepping) but you can't do the other way around, FYI.

Enjoy the boat, my wife and I have enjoyed ours for 12 years and going strong!
Take care,
Scott
Scott Monroe
C350 #409 / Southern Yankee
North Kingstown, RI
NormSail350

Post by NormSail350 »

Mike,

I am a new owner of a 2003 as well (2 months ago) and I keep the boat in Coconut Grove, FL. The previous owner had the boat in fort Lauderdale as well.

I am planning to get the bottom done as well. Escape last had her bottom painted with Petit Ultima SR66 in November 2017 and she held up well - the water line is getting thin and I am battling barnacle growth. Escape has been in the water for the whole time and is currnetly on a mooring. Petit SR66 seems to be the recommended bottom paint - as I have three quotes from Marina's and all recommend the same.

Still learning the new boat as this was an upgrade from a trailerable 1983 Macgreggor 25! A lot of new systems to dominate. Happy to trade notes!

NormSail350 (Escape)
NormSail350
Escape (hull #40)
Palmetto Bay, FL (Miami)
rjengelhart

Post by rjengelhart »

Good luck to both new owners.

We bought Andiamo about a year ago, and still learning the her nuances.

I found that a folding prop (Gori 3-blade) really improved her sailing performance over the three-bladed fixed (barn door) one.
vr
Bob Engelhart
SV Andiamo #464
Punta Gorda, FL