C350 design changes over the years? Pick best yr for us?

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Scooter2368

C350 design changes over the years? Pick best yr for us?

Post by Scooter2368 »

We are looking into upsizing from C320 to C350 and I know this can be a loaded question but is there any information out there about what years had what changes to the C350? We like the C350's we have seen but Examples of questions:
What is the first year they came out?
Is there a year that had significant changes to layout or default equipment?

Not looking for too much detail but just general feedback about (Example: I would buy any C350 after 2006 because....) That kind of thing.

FWIW I will take into account that everybody has opinions about whether or not a change is a pro or con.

Thought I would start here.

Stay safe everybody.
knitchie

Re: C350 design changes over the years? Pick best yr for us?

Post by knitchie »

I can’t add much, but we own a 2007 and also looked at a 2008. On our 2007, the seats on the transom have opening hatches which provide access to tons of storage under the transom. On the 2008, there is no hatches. You can still get to the transom space via the aft cockpit lockers, but it isn’t easy.
Ken - Reverie - #447
pdenoncourt

Post by pdenoncourt »

First production year was 2003. MkII came out in 2008, I believe. Mk II eliminated access to aft storage through the stern. :-( I have always thought the first 2003-2007 were the best. A few extra interior amenities, too, like a mahogany cabinet above the nav table that was eliminated in the MkII.

Hope this helps.

Peter
Kite, hull #72
russp

Post by russp »

My 350 is hull 150, 2003. I didn't know about the transom seat access change, but I go in and out of those hatches more than anywhere else on the boat, have platforms built below to hold hoses, buckets, power cables, towels, polishes and cleaners, and the refrig set is under the stb hatch too. Can't imagine living without that access.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

Another fan of those aft lockers on the Mark 1. I would miss those if we had the later model.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

We have a 2005 and a 2006, both MkIs. Almost no diffrences aside from A/C and a Panda on the FL boat which means the WI boat has a lot more storage. Obviously, I really drank the Kool-Aid but I'm still among the living :)
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

One other MK II change is that the swim ladder telescopes and pulls out of the stern rather than pivoting down. I think there are louvers in the doors to the V berth and the aft cabin to promote air flow. The MK I's don't have them.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
dedgell

Post by dedgell »

We have a 2007 boat, hull #442. It was one of the last Mk I boats. We bought the boat new in the fall of 2007 after seriously considering the new 2008 Mk II version. We picked the Mk I because we simply liked the styling and interior better, and also it was less expensive due to the fact that our boat was a leftover dealer boat that had been on the lot for six months.

At the time we researched all of the differences between the two, and also the changes from the start of production to 2007. I can’t remember everything because it has been many years. But here are a few key differences that mattered to us:

A common complaint on early boats was poor insulation around the refrigeration system. This led to reports of excessive run time for the compressor and corresponding energy consumption. By 2007 the insulation had been beefed up. We have no complaints about the ability of our refrigeration to keep things cool even on the hottest days, and I think the energy consumption is reasonable (but I have nothing to compare it to).

At some point in time Catalina changed from Charleston Spars to Selden Spars. Our 2007 has a Selden. Our previous boat, a Catalina 310, had a Charleston. The Selden in-mast furling system is far superior to the Charleston in our experience. This is a simple thing, but being able to furl and reef quickly and without drama is a huge benefit when sailing and increases our enjoyment every time we sail.

Interior “upgrades” in the MK II did not appeal to us. There was a splash guard added in the galley and some different paneling in the main cabin. We just preferred the Mk I interior.

The previously mentioned transom redesign and ladder placement was a big change. Mk I boats have a huge swim ladder; Mk II has a pull out ladder. Also Mk II lacks access to transom lockers. This one was a toss up for us. The pull out ladder is a safer design for offshore because a person in the water could theoretically pull the ladder out themselves and reboard the boat. The big ladder we have on the Mk I is REALLY nice when you are swimming, but gets in the way when you are trying to access the swim step at the dock. We’ve also grown to appreciate the access to the transom lockers, but from an offshore safety standpoint they are a liability - two huge holes external to the boat that could allow water to enter if they were ever damaged in heavy seas. We don’t sail our boat offshore much, so this has never been a big concern to us.

The cabin top on MK II boats is reportedly 2 inches lower to improve visibility. Trust me, you’ll never miss those two inches in cabin headroom. We thought the visibility was better, but not so much to make a difference in our choice.

Hope this helps you in your search. I am clearly biased, but I think the sweet spot is a late Mk I boat with the Selden Spar.

Best regards,

David Edgell
S/V Blue Wing
C350 #442
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

Just a small point to add.. We added hinges to the big swim ladders on both boats so the ladder folds over, allowing it to be deployed under a dinghy hanging from davits. This has been a most worthwhile upgrade. The MK II ladders may be safer but they are in many ways a downgrade for actual comfort/ease of use. Some creative line additions allow the older ladder to be deployed from the water.
Peter Weis

Post by Peter Weis »

Really good info in this thread. Looking at 350s online for sail, had mistakenly thought all 350's changed to MK2s sometime in 2004, but apparently both versions remained available into newer years. Also, a number of things to consider between the two versions with pluses and minuses for both. It appears the lack of adequate insulation in the refrigeration wasn't fixed until 2007?