Winterize

The sailor's version of gathering around the water cooler. Talk about anything your heart desires on this forum.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Cmp1110

Winterize

Post by Cmp1110 »

Getting ready for our first winter and I am looking for any advice or suggestions that have helped other owners. One question I have is can you effectively drain water system thru manifolds in the bilge?
Any help would be appreciated thanks
chesworth

Re: Winterize

Post by chesworth »

Yes, you can drain system from manifold. I have used following procedure for last five years without any difficulties. Pump both water tanks dry, disconnect feed from tanks to pump, suck any surplus water from from feed with "shop vac" , use short piece of hose to jump cold feed to hot water tank at manifold to hot feed to manifold. Connect water pump inlet to jug of RV fluid. In turn open each faucet until pink fluid appears. Both forget the deck shower. Suck open feed line to hot tank dry with shop vac. Alternatively the drain valve on water tank can be opened,however you have to be a bit of a contortionist get at that valve. In spring pump clean water through through system before reconnecting to tanks, note none of the tanks contaminated with RV fluid.
Other items: For the electric head, disconnect water inlet, suck dry and pour RV fluid in bowel and pump dry. Pour RV fluid in shower drain, bilge and frig drain and pump dry.
Fully charge batteries and then disconnect terminals to avoid parasitic losses.
I'm on Great Lakes so have experienced very low temperatures without problems.