Micro Wave Oven

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Ray Edwards

Micro Wave Oven

Post by Ray Edwards »

My 350 was delivered without a micro wave oven, the other day I was making some popcorn on the stove (the old fashion way) and got to thinking popping a bag into a micro wave would be much easier and being the bag is sealed it would stay fresher longer than a jar of popcorn?
Question I have for those of you that have a micro wave is what is the brand that will fit on the shelf over the stove, looking at units from various retail stores smallest is a 7.0 cube with a depth of around 13 inches, way to big (I measure at most 11 inches to the trim piece on front of shelf) so wondered what Catalina was installing to fit in this area? Thought if I could find out the brand and other info I may be able go online & order direct.

Thanks for any help out there
Ray Edwards
C350 "Maria"
KenKrawford

Re: Micro Wave Oven

Post by KenKrawford »

Ray if you are referring to a 12VDC microwave I'm not going to be much help. I purchased a 120VAC microwave for my boat. I simply measured the opening and went to stores with tape measure in hand. I was able to find one for about $45. I have an inverter that powers all (and only) the AC outlets in my boat. It's not a pure sine wave inverter but the microwave works fine with it. The only problem is that the clock on the microwave loses about 20 minutes over a 24 hr. period when it's plugged into the inverter.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

In the attached picture, you can see a replacement microwave that I bought at Best Buy for $39. It's a Gold Star brand. Originally the boat had a white unit; I preferred the look of the black and stainless. Even though we have a microwave, we still use Jiffy-Pop.

Note too how I pulled the two side trim pcs out, rotated one 90 degrees, and cut it in half before reinstalling it. I rotated it so that it would have the finished edge "up'. This opens up storage space next to the Microwave.

Notice other the add ons. The spice rack, the splash guard purchased from Catalina, the cup holder bars above and to the right of the stove, the additional filtered water facet, and the air-conditioning vent placement.

Bill on TRIUMPH
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

Maybe this picture will work. Tell me again, where on the forum does it tell me how to include a picture?

http://s40.photobucket.com/albums/e235/ ... C03276.jpg
JerryRoss

Post by JerryRoss »

Ray,
My C350, hull #350 came with a factory installed microwave per the picture below. It is a GE, Model JE620WF001, Serial RG900136B, manufactured in August 2004. It is 18"W, 9 5/8"H, 14"D , is 120v and is a great unit with a turntable. Hope this
Attachments
Microwave.JPG
Microwave.JPG (16.99 KiB) Viewed 7296 times
Jerry Ross
s/v Coquillage
Catalina 350, Hull #350
cuthbert

Post by cuthbert »

I just replaced the original Samsung microwave this summer and went for this Haden unit (about $140 us). The nice thing about it is that with the smaller size I could trim the side pieces, vertically on the right hand side, then cut the left hand side piece to fit horizontally and in doing so gained a little bit more storage room. Really fiddly job, took about 4-5 hours and had to place the microwave and pour black coffee and let it dry so I could see where the feet sat for drilling through the shelf.
haden.jpg
haden.jpg (182.2 KiB) Viewed 606 times
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Nice job Jim. Very professional looking job.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA