SWIM LADDER MODIFICATION:

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Richard Ad

SWIM LADDER MODIFICATION:

Post by Richard Ad »

Swim ladder: I would like to modify my swim ladder on my 2005 C-350 to be more like the 2009/2010 model. My goal is to be able to enjoy the freedom of moving to the stern when sailing and backing into the dock. I sailed a Hunter 36 for 3 years and liked having removable life lines between the cockpit and stern tansom. This would also make the two stern lockers much more accessable. QUESTION: has anyone made this change or have suggestions on making this change?

Richard A.
R.B.

Re: SWIM LADDER MODIFICATION:

Post by R.B. »

Hi Richard,
I also have a 2005 and have been thinking about this modification for a couple of years. I don't have the "guts" to make the exact same change by cutting a hole in the stern and fiberglass in a recessed ladder. I am currently looking at a ladder that bolts onto the step and then slides and then folds out over the stern and then use life lines to close the cockpit. This would remove the large ladder we currently have, but I am concerned about stepping on the ladder while it is stored.

I am interested in hearing any other ideas too.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
rickkremel

Post by rickkremel »

I'm just finishing the final installation of a new platform covering the new ladder on the swim platform on
"Dock Holiday".
I was concerned with the old design of the swim ladder for saftey reasons and believe Catalina was also concerned since they changed the design.
I'll get down to the boat this week and take a few photos to show how I did it.
In a nutshell, I built a new platform two inches above the original swim platform to allow enough height to cover the new ladder. I used a marine board I found online with a non-skid surface.
I'm looking forward to the new design since I too back into our slip and have to walk around the ladder 10-20 time each time we're on "Dock". I only needed to drill 4 holes for the ladder and 4 holes for the platform. As for the lifeline, I've removed the locks for the original ladder and will replace them with wide D shackles to accept the new lifeline.
Now I just need the other boats in the boatyard to launch so I can get back onto the "warm" waters
of Lake Michigan!
Richard Ad

Post by Richard Ad »

Thank you R.B. & rickkremel for your response. Can you post your prictures on this site? Regarding your cover over the sliding swim ladder I was thinking of using teak slats with 1/4" gaps and keeping the platform high enough to clear the ladder's operation. This teak cover would be removable for cleaning. One other note; Safety, a ladder that is accessable from the water would be a lot safer than the existing ladder that needs to be released while onboard the vessel. If you can't post the pictures please send them to my e-mail. Thank you again.

richardadlesic@verizon.net
lyle

Post by lyle »

I have been looking at the same thing on my 2005 - the design as it stands is very frustrating to use. My thought was to cut 2 steps off of the existing ladder so it would reach just to the top of the stern cockpit combing (when the ladder is in the up position) and adding 1 or 2 removable lifelines above it. This would take a little stainless steel modification but would certainly make it easier to access the transom without having to drop the ladder. You would still have to step over the ladder in the up position to access the stern but at least you don't have to climb up and over it. I had a similar setup on my Legend 35.5 and it worked quite well. The only down side that I can see is it would reduce the length of the ladder when it is in the water but I think it would be still adequate.
rickkremel

Post by rickkremel »

Here is a photo of the new swim platform I built for Dock Holiday.
As mentioned in an earlier posting, I was concerned about geting back onboard if I was alone and the original ladder was lock up. I can now get onboard single handed by flipping the lid up to swing the ladder down.
I chose a maintainance free marine board with a non skid surface since there is no other teak on board.
A few wide D shackles in the existing stern rail holes will allow for the installation of the new lifeline.
Since we back into our slip, we won't have to deal with always walking around the old ladder.
Attachments
DSC_0004.JPG
DSC_0004.JPG (48.32 KiB) Viewed 9378 times