Companionway Bug Screens

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Daniel Brodsky

Companionway Bug Screens

Post by Daniel Brodsky »

I think it would be nice to have a companionway bug screen for those times when the mosquitoes etc. are bothersome.

Does someone have a recommendation for something ‘off the shelf’ that fits a C350?

Dan Brodsky
C354 - Holo NUi
Toronto, ON
Daniel J. Brodsky
Holo Nui # 354
wolfe10

Re: Companionway Bug Screens

Post by wolfe10 »

Daniel,

Do not know of a commercially available alternative, BUT:

First question is what size vermin are you trying to keep out-- mosquitoes or no "seem's". That will determine the coarseness of the screen required.

Cheapest answer is to lay out the hatch boards and "scribe their outer dimension" to some plywood". After cutting that out, cut inside that dimension by 2' or so all the way around. Cover that opening with nylon screen-- coarseness depends on what "flying teeth" you are trying to keep out. Want it "pretty": thin plywood, same dimensions. Screen in middle, plywood on both sides. Stain and varnish to match.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

We use swinging companionway doors from Zarcor. They come with 3 inserts. Translucent smoked acrylic, solid white acrylic, and screens. Easy to switch out and no more hassling with the stock boards.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
Daniel Brodsky

Post by Daniel Brodsky »

Having just applied several coats of Cetol to our hatchboards, I think I’ll keep them for now, but the doors from Zarcor and homemade options both sound good.

Since posting this question I also heard about Sogeman’s “Bugbusters” companionway screen, model number MD4077 and it looks very similar to the Waterline Design Mosquito Net.

Delighted to hear that we have several options to protect us from those "flying teeth".
Daniel J. Brodsky
Holo Nui # 354
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi there,

Many years ago we had a drop down canvas (sunbrella) companion way cover made which has a screen mesh center and it has a second drop down cover over the mesh. Each is connected with little corner "switch" connectors. The outer drop down cover attaches to the sliding hatch and is rolled up and left on top when the hatch cover is open. It connects with press studs and is especially useful as we can close up the boat from the inside when we want to shut out cold drafts etc without having to put in the hatch boards at night. The inner mesh cover is rolled up and tied to the outer cover and thus we can have airflow at night when it is hot and or there are bugs etc. Hope this is understandable. This is the second or third boat I have had such a companion way cover made for over the past 25 years or so. If you are interested I can take some photos next time I am at the boat. It was relatively inexpensive at the local sail makers office.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
Daniel Brodsky

Post by Daniel Brodsky »

Sure, I would love to see the photos.
Daniel J. Brodsky
Holo Nui # 354
sargentef

Post by sargentef »

We made our companionway doors from Azac plastic construction wood. Used no see'em screen with removable plexi-glass panels.
We drilled 1/4'" SS threaded inserts into the hatch board channel and mount screens with SS hex head bolts.

"Seawing"
Hull# 309 2005
Attachments
20190719_182805 screen 3.jpg
20190719_182805 screen 3.jpg (51.07 KiB) Viewed 4542 times
20190719_182717 screen 2.jpg
20190719_182717 screen 2.jpg (57.08 KiB) Viewed 4542 times
20190719_182647 screen 1.jpg
20190719_182647 screen 1.jpg (63.76 KiB) Viewed 4542 times
hperros

Post by hperros »

I made a canvas bug screen which covers the entire companion way with the hatch door been pushed all the way back. It consists of a 3 inch wide canvass frame with the screen stitched on it. The frame is snapped onto the boat and there is a zipper to open the bug screen so you can go in and out. I can take a photo of it next time I go to the boat, in case someone is interested. The advantage is that you can keep the entire companion way open which is ideal if you are anchored out. It also packs very small. I don't know how much it will cost to get it done at a canvas shop. It took me a while to do it, because I don't have the right facilities and also I messed up with the dimensions and had to re-do parts of it.. but canvas is forgiving (well up to a number of trials!).
Harry Perros
Aegean
Hull #331
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

I like the screen in the drop cloth ide. I think that is idea.
I have a simple solution on my gadget website using "tulle" from Joanne Fabrics. It costs about $2 for two yards and is simple to use. You just drape the tulle over the companionway. I secure mine at the bottom with a clothes pin. When finished, it's about the size of your first to store.

See this under "Canvas Ideas" on my website, www.thebookofsail.com

Bill
TRIUMPH