Tuning the Standing Rigging

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Jack McDonald

Tuning the Standing Rigging

Post by Jack McDonald »

Has anyone tuned their standing rigging on the C350? We sail much stronger on port tack versus starboard tack. That makes me think that maybe the rigging needs tuned. I talked with a rigger at the Annapolis show a few weeks ago and he is going to come to my boat in the spring and tune the rigging.
Jack
Friendship
C350, #80
Chesapeake Bay
Mike Aston

I sort of tuned the rigging

Post by Mike Aston »

having trucked the boat between lakes last year I was forced to tune the rig.
I did it by guess and by god, adjusting the turn buckles until they seemed reasonably tight and then eyeballing the mast and adjusting until the mast was straight. This was no big deal.
Phase two, of course, is to take the boat out and see if any stays go slack when you are heeling. This I did and followed the book making the necesary adjustments.

When I got back to the dock I found the forward cabin door jambing and some of the caulking round the salon forward bulkhead had torn. So I slackened things off a bit and made only a few half hearted attempts at tuning after that.
I did notice differences in sailing from one tack to the next but never thought the rigging might be the problem.
The boat goes into storage next week so I am looking forward to another rigging adventure next year. Next time I shall be equipped with a guage to make sure I do not overtighten.
Mike Aston
WIndhover Hull#120
Pete Bruzik

tuning the Rig

Post by Pete Bruzik »

Hi Jack, I've tried to tune but with not much success - had no problem with keeping our C27 in tune but now... Who did you did you talk to at the show and what did they quote for tuning (if you don't mind sharing...)

Pete Bruzik PEKABU III #107
Jack McDonald

Post by Jack McDonald »

Hello Pete,

The rigging shop I talked with at the Annapolis show is NorthernBay Rigging. Their number is 410-626-8855. He quoted me a rate of $70/hour. He said it would take about 2-3 hours to do the work. He seemed a very personable fellow and I plan to observe as he does the work. He also said he would be glad to go sailing with me on my boat so he can observe/tune the rigging under load. (for his wage rate, of course)

We will have NorthernBay Rigging tune our boat this coming spring. At that time, I can report the outcome.

On a side note: Pete, I see that you're very active in the CCYC. I have an interest in that organization. May I contact you about the CCYC?
Jack
Friendship
C350, #80
Chesapeake Bay
Dave Granata

Northern Bay Rigging

Post by Dave Granata »

I also met the guy from Northern Bay rigging at the show. He was pretty knowlegable. Just last week, on the J-35 that I race on, we broke one of the mast check stays and I suggested to the owner that he call this guy. He came right out and repaired both stays. It was a really good job. The owner liked what he had done and I think he is going to have him do other work on the boat.
Dave G