Preventer?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

ps23435

Preventer?

Post by ps23435 »

Has anyone rigged a preventer for their boom?
Pete & Anita
Slip Away #437
Hampton, VA
Mark Sutherland

Re: Preventer?

Post by Mark Sutherland »

I attach my preventer to the boom bail with a carabiner (where the main sheet block attaches). The line leads down to a block attached to the midship cleat. The line terminates at the aft cleat. You can rig one for each side, but I just move mine from side to side.
Mark Sutherland,
Dunrobin III
Hull #388 (2006)
JohnNorton

Post by JohnNorton »

May want to use a "figure 8" climbing ring instead of just a carabiner on the mast. With this you can better adjust tension on the line being used as a preventer.
MarkElliott

Post by MarkElliott »

I rigged a preventer with a line from starboard midship cleat to a climbing figure 8 attached to the underside of the mast with a soft shackle and a carabiner back to port midship cleat mounted turning block and ended at stern cleat. Might be the line I used, but couldn't get it tight enough to prevent boom movement. Slows it some but still jibed. Will try with some line not so slick to see if it gets better. Did better with a static line of webbing with a binder on a figure 8 loop on each end clipped between boom and midship cleat.
Mark Elliott
Mintaka #71
Noank Ct.