Refrig/freezer thermostat issues

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jbd3

Refrig/freezer thermostat issues

Post by jbd3 »

Hull 394 (2006) and this year both dials are (pardon the pun) 'frozen' meaning they would take more force than I fear they can withstand to turn at all, in either direction. They seemed fine last summer (our first season with the boat). Both are set to 4 so it's pretty functional aside from freezing things in the bottom and being 50 degrees at the top. I've been reviewing the insulation upgrades that I think would benefit us but anyone have insight on why the dials are not turning and how to deal with this issue minimizing the likelihood of breaking something and taking the whole system down? TIA...
two_steppin

Re: Refrig/freezer thermostat issues

Post by two_steppin »

Did you ever figure out the problem? Both of my shafts seem to be "frozen." My refrig knob is now broken (split) and I'm going to try to order new knobs, but would like to know how to get the knob shafts to move easily. This is the first time my 2005 shafts have frozen up.
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

JBD and Two Steppin,
I don't know the answer to your questions but you may want to consider calling Waeco and see what they have to say. I'm imagine they will want to sell you new switches.
You may also want to post your question on http://www.kollmann-marine.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=2.
Mr. Kollmann is very knowledgeable regarding marine refrigeration. Be sure to include make and model number of your system.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
jbd3

Post by jbd3 »

I ended up using some wd40 on the shafts of the switches and they became normal again. No further issues...