Refrigeration cycling

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Don

Refrigeration cycling

Post by Don »

We have owned hull 376 about three years now. Had a long running effort trying to get refrigeration to cycle so the solar array we added could carry us through trips to our island destinations in So Cal. First had the refrigerant checked and replaced the cooling fan. Still failed to cycle off. Then tried to recalibrate the thermostat. Still failed. Don’t know why I waited so long but I finally ordered a new thermostat this spring. Bingo! Major difference in electrical draw over a 24 hour cycle. Our 350 watt solar array does a fine job of keeping up with that. The freezer and refrigerator lid still sweat a bit, so may add some insulation to the lids.

wolfe10

Re: Refrigeration cycling

Post by wolfe10 »

STRONGLY recommend a remote temperature monitor for the refrigerator. Walmart, etc carry them. Accurite is one of the major brands.

Sure beats ASSUMING that your food is being stored at a safe temperature.

Also, at least on ours, insulation under the refrigerator was poor. Drilled holes, used expanding foam and re-glassed holes. Made a big difference.

We use the remote temperature sensor in our refrigerator on the boat, in the motorhome and even at home.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
League City, TX

Don

Post by Don »

Thanks for the input. I did pick up an electronic remote temp sensor. It’s great to be able to just glance over to see the temperature. Ours came with two sensors. I’ve experimented with the locations. Right now I have on inside the freezer element and the other clipped to the refrigerator door shelf about midpoint vertically in the refrigerator space. I will also take your advice on insulation at the bottom. Any advice on spacing of holes and type of foam to use? Also did you inject any foam between the sloping freezer wall and the hull? We have had some unusually warm days here lately and afternoon sun affects this location directly. Finally, did you add any kind of circulation fan or exhaust near the compressor? The technician who added refrigerant for me felt it wouldn’t be worth the trouble. I store my seat cushions in the lazerette when we are not cruising so air circulation is probably compromised then.

wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Doing a search here for "Refrigerator Insulation" brought up several pages of hits.

This thread is a good start: viewtopic.php?f=16&t=396&p=1574&hilit=r ... tion#p1574
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
League City, TX

Don

Post by Don »

Thanks Brett.

KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Don there are 2 different types of foam insulation generally sold in big box DIY stores. The "Gaps & Cracks" type is usually considered a minimal-expansion and won't deform the lining of your box as it expands. Check the label of the product you buy to be sure it's this type.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA