water tank shut off valves

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

djones

water tank shut off valves

Post by djones »

Does anyone know the manufacturer of the water tank shut off valves located under the galley sink?

The handle for our aft tank snapped off. It looks like the top of the valve can be unscrewed away from the valve body to allow replacement.

This is for an early 350, with the oval grey valve handles.

Thanks,
Don Jones "Onatop" '03 hull #13
Oak Island / Southport, NC
Triumph

Re: water tank shut off valves

Post by Triumph »

Does anyone know the manufacturer of the water tank shut off valves located under the galley sink?

From Warren Pandy at Catalina: We are thinking (fairly sure) that valve is from Quest. It is not our current use so it would not be that easy or quick to locate one .......if we have any left over. However it should be easy enough for them to locate one on line or locally.
two_steppin

Post by two_steppin »

This is probably too late, based on the other post dates, but my grey shut-off valve has "QEST" on the top (NOT "QUEST"). I haven't found a replacement yet but am still looking. I stripped the threads on my forward tank valve. If anyone has found where I can purchase a replacement, PLEASE let me know. A local shop did open mine up and tried to fix it. The repair lasted for two on/off cycles.
djones

Post by djones »

I fixed ours in a somewhat disjointed way. My knob had snapped off the valve stem. I ordered a similar Quest valve from http://www.hardwareandtools.com. Search under "Quest Valve" on their site and you will see about 4 different sizes. I ordered the 5/8", but this was the wrong size! No worry, the large screw top cover that contains the guts of the valve was exactly the same as on my original valves. (I'm guessing that one of the other listed valve sizes would be correct, but I'm not at the boat so not sure which one it actually is.)

I just unscrewed the large hex cover with the broken shaft off my old valve, tossed it, and screwed on the new cover/handle/valve assembly. I never separated the hoses or valve body from their existing mounting under the galley. It took about two minutes to fix. The left over unused body of the ordered valve was discarded since it had the wrong size hose connections anyway.

Hope this helps.
Don Jones "Onatop" C350 #13
Oak Island / Southport, NC