Water pump not cycling

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

calgon

Water pump not cycling

Post by calgon »

My water pump would not come on. Both tanks show full of water. I reset the breaker at the main panel- nothing. It was left on and working fine last week. I can find no evidence of a fuse under the galley sink. Any suggestions?
R.B.

Troubleshooting

Post by R.B. »

Well the first thing I would check is to see if you have voltage at the pump. Use a multi meter to check to see that you have 12 volts at the pump when the breaker switch is on. If you do have voltage at the pump I would pull the pump and bench test it. I would even pull the pump partially apart to check for a blockage. If you are not comfortable pulling the pump apart take it in to have it looked at. If you don't have voltage at the pump, check the breaker and make sure that it is allowing voltage through. If your breaker is good and you don';t have voltage at the pump you need to trace the lines to find the break.
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
Triumph

Water Pump

Post by Triumph »

Ralph is correct. Sometimes the pressure switch on the pump goes bad, and this might be less expensive to replace than the entire pump.

Sometimes too, the brushes inside the pump get hung up. I've had this happen also. Tap the pump with a hammer and see if this frees up the stuck brush.
calgon

Post by calgon »

Thanks-Tapped the top and jiggled thw wires and it has run perfectly since.