cabin door locksets?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

elk

cabin door locksets?

Post by elk »

I have a 2006 C350 and the forepeak cabin door lockset is non-functional. The handles just hang down and the latch never protrudes through the strike plate.

has anyone replaced, or ficxed, one of these? Where would I find one, other than Catalina?

Thanks,
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
TBOT422

Re: cabin door locksets?

Post by TBOT422 »

Ed,

Have you checked the set screw that holds the handle on to the latch?

We had a similar problem with the latch to the head. I found that the set screw on the handle had become loose and allowed the handle to just hang down.
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
Chuck_on_Hudson

Post by Chuck_on_Hudson »

I am the new owner of hull #320 manufactured in Nov 2004

I have two cabin doors that have bad locksets, the main one to the v-berth and the one to the aft berth.

The v-berth latch will not close because the spring latch does not line up with the latch hole. I checked to see if the hinges were bent but they are not and that is apparently not the reason why the latches and holes are mis-aligned.

I think it is a factory defect. Either the PO or the factory tried to drill out the brown plastic door frame area to increase the latch hole length (on the upper end of the rectangular door latch hole), and also tried to cut away the metal strike plate. Whoever tried it did a very bad job and the strike plates on both the aft and v-berth cabins are bad.

Does anyone know what company made the door latches for the C350?

Does anybody know where I can get longer strike plates? I would like to replace the hacked-out ones that I have today and repair the doors properly.

I have some pictures but do not yet know the best way to post them in this forum.

Thanks,

Charlie
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Charlie I believe the lock sets on the 350 are made by Perko. It's hard to tell from web pics. but it appears that this is the one they used - http://www.perko.com/catalog/category/l ... oduct/522/. If you click on SPARE PARTS, it shows a part number for the strike.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Richard Ad

Post by Richard Ad »

All things settle over time. My strike plate hole got out of alignment with the door set (male section) on my forward cabin door. The door/door-frame did not change; in other words, there was an even gap all the way around my door/frame. So I'm not sure how the strike plate misalignment could occur. I took off the strike plate, put it in a vice, and filed the hole to match the door set (male section). Did you recently have your rigging tuned? Something usually changes when you pull on something else.
elk

Post by elk »

elk wrote:I have a 2006 C350 and the forepeak cabin door lockset is non-functional. The handles just hang down and the latch never protrudes through the strike plate.

has anyone replaced, or fixed, one of these? Where would I find one, other than Catalina?

Thanks,
I found the locksets last year at FP Marine, they sell mainly Sea Ray parts. They cost about $65 each, I got 2, one for a spare. They are the exact replacement. Go here;

http://www.searay-parts.com/product-p/mc-04-223-10.htm

Since it was last year, and I'm in the office, away from my boat,, I would ask you just to check that it is the correct thickness, but this is indeed where I got them and the cost is also correct.

Good luck.
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
nybor

Post by nybor »

hi. my 2006 also had a door latch issue. The previous owner removed the strike plate and filed the door jamb so that the latch would line up with the cavity. My handle is also semi-limp (hmmm), but it is because it still doesn't completely extend into the jamb.

i am going to file out a bit more and then re-drill holes to install the strike plate higher up.

d
Chuck_on_Hudson

Post by Chuck_on_Hudson »

I appreciate the comment that bulkheads, door frames, etc can settle over time and/or be affected by re-tuning the rig, but in my case I still have a very hard time believing that this is the cause. The clearance between the door and the jamb-frame is uniform all the way around, the hinges are not bent, the hinge screws are tight, the door latch is positioned in its mortise, etc. I tried every combination of loosening screws to try to get the door to align lower so that the spring latch would engage the already opened slot.

But the spring latch and the hole are misaligned by over a 1/2 inch on the v-berth cabin. The latch on the aft berth by 1/4". I think it is a factory defect - the v-berth door was never aligned to begin with. My guess is that the slot in the door jamb was not put in the right position. The whole slot needed to be raised by 1".

I am trying to open up the slot using a Dremel tool and 3/8" grinder stone. The brown door frame material is pretty tough stuff. I cannot tell if it is an aluminum alloy or steel, but it burned out the brushes on my dremel, and glazed the grind stone over with metal.

I will try to call Catalina this week and see if they can help.

Thanks
nybor

Post by nybor »

I looked at the strike plate/jamb alterations from the previous owner on my boat and it was 1/2" out of alignment as well!

dave
Prettaygood

Post by Prettaygood »

Hi All,

Newbie sailor and owner of a Catalina. I want to replace 2-3 out of the 4 lock sets, I’ve tried the set screws and just not working.... handles go limp... Catalina direct has the hardware but @ $150 I was hoping to find it for less knowing they tack on a healthy markup for things.

https://www.catalinadirect.com/shop-by- ... clamshell/

Can anyone confirm that this one on sea ray parts is the same thing? It’s priced at $68.... sounds about the right markup for Catalina direct 😀.

https://www.searay-parts.com/product-p/mc-04-x23-10.htm

Thanks,

Marc :D
rickkremel

Post by rickkremel »

Crazy expensive! I have the same problem. Please let us know if the cheaper alternatives works.
elk

Post by elk »

Yes, they worked for me. I still have the spare from eight years ago.
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA