De-lamination of veneer on forward bulkhead wall in salon.

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

Palmettomoon350

De-lamination of veneer on forward bulkhead wall in salon.

Post by Palmettomoon350 »

Still have the de-lamination issue. I am waiting until warmer weather before attempting to re-glue the panel.
Ken; what is the recommended adhesive to do this? Does Catalina recommend a specific adhesive and where can I get some?

Regards

Carl Beckmann
Palmetto Moon # 223
KenKrawford

Re: De-lamination of veneer on forward bulkhead wall in salo

Post by KenKrawford »

Carl, I don't know what product Catalina is recommending to use on the veneer. 3M makes a spray adhesive that is very good but getting even coverage of the veneer and the bulkhead would be quite difficult. I recently had to replace the veneer on the saloon table and used Titebond 1 wood glue. I brushed a liberal amount on the table top and the veneer. After it dried I aligned the veneer on the table and ironed it on. This approach worked very well. You have to be careful with the iron and keep it moving or it will start to discolor or burn the veneer. Trying to get an even coating of Titebond on two vertical surfaces would be very difficult.
I think that all the "bandaid" fixes previously proposed leave a lot to be desired because there will always be some of the veneer that won't get enough adhesive. Ultimately, the entire sheet of veneer needs to come off, be re-glued and then re-attached. MUCH easier said than done.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
ldirubbo

Post by ldirubbo »

I had the same problem as all who had de-lamination problems. I have read all the comments and the person who works on my boat said the best solution was to carefully remove the entire panel then glue it back on whit better contact cement. We found any other method would not allow us to get an even coating of glue and you may have other sections de-laminate in the future further down the panel. It does require skill since once you make contact with the surface you can't slide it around. They do have other glues that allow you to move the panel once you make contact but it requires even pressure for 24 hours which is difficult to do because of shape and didn't hold as well.

The problem seems to be the contact glue used by Catalina when installed.
Palmettomoon350

Post by Palmettomoon350 »

Ken,
Thanks for the tip. I have a can of the 3M glue but I don't think it will work as the spray will not reach the inside portion of the veneer. I'm not sure I want to tackle removing the veneer. I will begin researching for someone to do this and hopefully will not be too expensive. I was hoping for Catalina to get involved and suggest someone to do this work or send someone to do the work. I know they have workers who travel to do repairs.

Regards

Carl Beckmann
Palmetto Moon # 223
JohnNorton

Re: De-lamination of veneer on forward bulkhead wall in salon.

Post by JohnNorton »

I was told the original glue used was heat sensitive. I was able to reattach the veneer by using a clothes iron over a cloth, moving it around before getting too hot. Seemed to work, but it's only been a month or so.
Steve A

Post by Steve A »

JohnNorton - it's been 3 years - did the veneer stay attached after you ironed it?
Steve Abdow
S/V Jester, Hull 160
S. Dartmouth, MA
D&M

Post by D&M »

It did not work for me. Couldn't get it to stick very well.
I cut the veneer at the top and bottom of the bulkhead (along the line at the black caulking) which reduced the pressure on the veneer. I was then able to peel it back and spray 3m adhesive in there and reset it. Looks great and has been stuck down for three months in a tropical climate with no sign of releasing.
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
JohnNorton

Post by JohnNorton »

Regarding veneered paneling: I did have to iron it twice to get the glue re-heated enough (towel placed under the iron). Held good ever since.
JohnNorton

Post by JohnNorton »

Steve: As to the bulkhead veneer: it has now been - well a long time and it all remains in place, no voids or loose sections. I'd say the heating worked well. I moved slowly, heated perhaps 18" at a time with a clothes iron, dish cloth under the iron, then pressed down on it as the section cooled down. Hope you get the same results- john