Transom Shower Access Door Leak

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

TBOT422

Transom Shower Access Door Leak

Post by TBOT422 »

Has anyone had a problem with rain water coming in the access door for the transom shower? One thing I discovered while having the aft cabin open for about a month doing other maintenance was that every time it rained or I washed the boat, about 1/8 cup of water would pool on the shelf above the prop shaft at the rear end of the water muffler. I eventually determined it was coming from somewhere on the starboard side near the transom. I removed the shelf in the starboard cockpit locker and crawled inside with a flashlight and closed the locker door and had the admiral run water over the stern locker doors, the floor and the cockpit seats. I was amazed to see water just pour in around the shower faucet handle. First, this access panel is underneath the removable helm seat, and mounted on a vertical wall. No water spray could hit it directly. The bottom of the shower control box is sloped downward, so I was amazed that a great deal of water was able to reach the hole where the shower head handle is stored.

Has anyone else noticed this problem and how did you go about fixing it? I've thought about creating some sort of 'awning' style diverter above the door, so that water running down the edge of the removable seat, would not be able to run down the face of the shower access door. I've also considered possibly putting some sort of seal on the inside of the box, so that the access door had something to mate up with and keep the water out. Possibly getting a sturdy piece of plastic and taping it above and over the entire panel so that it hinges upward when we want to use the shower? For the time being, I just stuffed some rags in the box to keep rain water from running down into the aft cabin, but that's a short term fix.

I would never have noticed this problem if I hadn't had the mattress out of the aft cabin for a month. The water does not appear to be sufficient to ever reach the bilge where it would become noticeable. It just sits under the aft cabin mattress until it evaporates and creates mold and mildew.

Thanks
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)