fresh water pump leak

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

elk

fresh water pump leak

Post by elk »

It looks as though the fresh water pump mounting gasket is leaking. Has anyone got the part # for a replacement, or what brand the pump is?

Also, I'm assuming our heat exchanger is in the 3" diameter range, so I can service it at the same time with a cleanout and new gasket.

Thanks in advance.
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
TBOT422

Re: fresh water pump leak

Post by TBOT422 »

elk,

If you are referring to the flat gasket between the fresh water pump (the one near the top starboard side of the front of the engine). The part number is 200857 from the Westerbeke M 35B parts manual.

You may want to download the parts list http://www.westerbeke.com/products/Prod ... ype=3&ID=8and technical manual http://www.westerbeke.com/products/Prod ... ype=2&ID=8.

I would add that our fresh water pump has a very small slow leak, but it is not at the flat mounting gasket. There is a weep hole in the housing under the pulley and a few drops of anti-freeze seeps out of it when the engine is running. I suspect the mechancial shaft sel near the impeller is leaking and allowing a small bit of anti-freeze to seep out. There are no re-built or re-furbished water pumps available, and a new pump is around $400. I installed a small piece of paper towell on the housing just below the weep hole held in place with electrical tape. Think of a band-aid. The pad on the 'band-aid' catches the few drops of anti-freeze and keeps it from getting all over the place. I squeeze the 'band-aid' out each time I check the engine, and replace it as needed. Every 3 or 4 months I need to add a cup or so of anti-freeze back in the system.

Good Luck
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
elk

Post by elk »

Thanks Gary(I may be incorrectly assuming you're not Janet?). That's good info; I'm a firm believer in having too much info, then weeding as needed for the situation. That's not the case on this subject. Yet.
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
MorningStar

Post by MorningStar »

My fresh water pump started to weep out the hole behind the belt drive pulley. Engine had 1300 hours and is 9 years old. Bought a new pump through the Universal dealer. A leaking water pump will never get better and eventully will have to be replaced. You may consider replacing a couple of the fresh water hoses when the pump is off. I was able to do the job myself.

Barry Dupuy
s/v Morning Star #35
Kemah, TX
Tim OSullivan

Post by Tim OSullivan »

Elk,

I would like to reinforce the suggestion to change the pump. I encountered the same problem and procrastinated on changing out the pump. The result was minor water entering the oil causing rust and broken springs on the fuel injector pump ...... a runaway diesel is a scary situation.

Tim
Timothy J O"Sullivan
Seaquel
hull # 322
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

As an alternative to spending $400 for a new pump, I had mine rebuilt and new lip seals installed for a bit more than $100. I used a company in Clearwater called Depco - http://www.depcopump.com/. You may want to give them a call and get a quote.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
elk

Post by elk »

Does anyone know the make/model of the pump? Defender has a few replacements that look like they may work; just trying to avoid $400 cost.

Thanks,
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

Hi all,
The fresh water pump on the engine is a Kubota part that can be had from any Kubota tractor dealer. If I recall correctly, the engine (M35B) is built on a Kubota V-1305 block. The pump bearing and seal kit or the complete pump can be ordered. Check the price.
Let us know how you make out.
Leigh Weiss Brisa #155
Last edited by leigh weiss on Sat Mar 16, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
elk

Post by elk »

Did some research, Here's the engine:

Kubota Engine D1005-E3B (3600rpm)

Though this is the 3 cylinder model, it seems to use the same pump.

Pump part #:
16241-73034

Here's a picture, with a 360 degree view option:
http://www.messicks.com/partdetail/16241-73034.aspx

And here's the best price I cold find in 5 minutes:
http://www.inteparts.com/store/product. ... pid=397575

Wow! Talk about a markup! Close to $400 from a Universal name and under $150 for a Kubota part. Stock up before they find out!

The Kubota lead was key. Thanks.

Ed
Ed Kruzel
S/V Emily
Hull #399, 2006 C350
Cataumet, MA
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

That's interesting. Please post your results if you find out that it works.

I like Ken's rebuild option at Depco pump. They happen to be located between my house and the boat slip.

But the info about the Kubota engine could be EXTREMELY useful for many items.
Gary & Janet
AynB

Post by AynB »

Just to make sure that my thinking is clear on this topic....
Looking at the water pump from Kubota, it does indeed look exactly like the one on my block. [ BTW: 1000 thanks for that tip ].
One of the reasons that "we" replace the water pump is because it begins leaking water/antifreeze into the oil side of the system. First evidenced by the bit of foamy found on the upper level of the oil dip stick. Or so it is said. We all have the little dribble out of the front of the pump that takes place when the engine cools down and allows the smallest of leakage.
Putting these two together , suggests to me at least , that there is a bearing / seal between the water pump and the block. that eventually fails leading to the water/antifreeze on the oil side.
However, since the pump is belt driven, how can the water/antifreeze get into the oil side?????? There's no shaft to seal and , in my thinking, there's no reason for there to be a hole behind the water pump.

Anyone able to de-be-fuddle me ? :-)
Thanks
Al
leigh weiss

Post by leigh weiss »

For those who have a leak around fresh the water pump.

I have located a small leak not from the pump gasket. which I first suspected, but rather from the two bolts holding the upper alternator belt tension bracket.
One of these machine screws into the water jacket and must be sealed with RTV (silicon) when removed and replaced.
Mine was loose and hence the very slow leak. I hope this helps.

Leigh Weiss

Brisa #155
Leigh and Donna Weiss
Brisa #155
Georgetown, MD. USA
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Al,

I am with you. I don't see how water/antifreeze can get in the oil side that would be solved by replacing the fresh water pump. The impeller on the fresh water pump sits in the water jacket on the block. The mounting gasket keeps the water/antifreeze from leaking externally. There is a seal on the pump shaft in front of the impeller that is supposed to keep antifreeze from leaking out toward the belt pulley. Even if it were leaking, I don't see how that gets in the oil stream. It just drips out the weep hole in the housing.

Leigh,

I plan to check out the mounting bolts for the alternator bracket today to see if my small leak is really coming from that area instead of the weep hole as I suspected.

I do know that a continuous seeping out the weep hole that is not captured will eventually weaken the lower hose going to the heat exchanger and cause it to leak.
Gary & Janet