Replacement engin panel

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tstrauch

Replacement engin panel

Post by tstrauch »

Does anyone know where to order a replacement engine panel for the 350? All four of my gauges have water in them and two do not work (fuel and engine temp). I've checked wiring and sender units and they appear to be fine, so I'm assuming it's the gauges themselves. Because the panel is cracked, I would prefer to just replace the whole thing.
malexander24

Re: Replacement engin panel

Post by malexander24 »

I would call Seward first, http://www.seawardproducts.com/panels_main.htm
I got a replacement panel and gauges for an older Catalina 30 from them.
Mark Alexander
SV M & M
Kerr Lake NC
russpeel

Post by russpeel »

Hi,

No. 1 answer is that there is nothing wrong with water in your guages (so I was told when I bought my C350 and raised it as an issue). Just means that you haven't been using your motor a lot. Condensation in them is normal and is dried by by the lights when motoring, they warm up inside the guages and drive the water out, and it works!! So re the water, just motor for a few hours in sunny weather and they should dry out of their own accord. They are obviously designed to work with condensation inside.

No. 2 answer is that Catalina can get their hands on replacement panels as far as I know, but it is just a flat panel, you then need to take all the guages off the old panel, fit them into the new panel, and refit it carefullly so you don't break the corners. The design is lousy as it puts too much pressure on the relatively weak corner holes and forces them to break away.

I have had a replacement panel for 2 years but still haven't drummed up the energy to disconnect every wire behind the panel, take all the guages and switches off, pull them through the front of the old panel, fit into the new panel, and rewire so that everything goes back where it should. No easy task.

Now there may be other panels, I am talking about the white/grey one with Catalina lettering that holds fuel, temp, volts, blower switch and start button.

Regards
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
knitchie

Post by knitchie »

Interesting comment about the condensation. My boat has the opposite condition. When not motoring, the lenses are clear, but after motoring they fog up. Evidently, the heat from the bulb creates condensation on the inside of the lense. After chasing several theories, I removed one of the bulbs and the fogging went away. I bought some LED bulbs and now need to figure out how to mount them in the original bulb holders.
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)