mystery oil leak

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

jrohrbaugh

mystery oil leak

Post by jrohrbaugh »

I repaired a broken fuel filter bracket and after replacing it the engine started leaking. I have the Universal 35MB.
Checked the low oil sensor as mentioned by others; not leaking.
The leak appears to be coming from behind the bracket that holds the oil filter. Also noted that the filter bracket has some kind of spacer on one side to hold it flush.

Any ideas?
wolfe10

Re: mystery oil leak

Post by wolfe10 »

Perhaps this breakdown will give you some idea of what is leaking (M35B):

http://www.marinedieseldirect.com/catal ... &comment1=

Brett
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
nybor

Post by nybor »

Not this will help, but my bracket also had cracked at the bend. I had it welded and haven't had any problems with it. Strange that you would have an OIL leak when messing with the FUEL system plumbing. I can't believe that the two bracket bolt holes somehow are connected to the oil pathway. Can you determine exactly where the leak is coming from?
nybor

Post by nybor »

oops, didn't want to post the former yet. Obviously when the bracket is removed, oil doesn't leak out of the holes. Does it leak when the engine is not running?

very strange

dave B
NYBOR
jrohrbaugh

Post by jrohrbaugh »

I have decided to delay a fix until after the holidays.

I have not run the engine with the bolts backed out but I did notice one is longer than the other. Maybe I switched them?? There is also a spacer that dropped out from one of the bolts. Of course I lost it but it appears to hold the bracket level with the engine block.

I'll report back when I find the leak.

Merry Christmas to all you Catalina 350 guys.

Here is a picture of our boat "dressed" for the St. Augustine Parade. We won best in class!
Attachments
Regatta 2016 reset pic of Soixante.jpg
Regatta 2016 reset pic of Soixante.jpg (79.43 KiB) Viewed 7800 times