Deck Light bulb

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Chips Ahoy!

Deck Light bulb

Post by Chips Ahoy! »

The deck light that's half way up the mast is out.
Does anyone know the bulb type/part number?
I can't seem to find it in any of the literature.
...it will save me a trip up.
Thanks
-george pringle
Chips Ahoy! #232
Staten Island (Great Kills Harbor), NY
Joel Indulgence

Post by Joel Indulgence »

George My son and I just replaced that bulb, missing since purchase, I will post info later today for you. One thing I did find interesting was there doesn't seem to be anything retaining the bulb in place. Maybe that piece is missing too. Joel
tjr350

Post by tjr350 »

:roll:
George,
I am glad you raised the issue of the missing deck lamp. Mine is gone too. In fact, of the 20 or so Catalina's in the yard where my boat is kept, only five still retain the entire deck lamp assembly intact. I have complained to my dealer and to Hella to no avail. The assembly is so fragile, its not fit for its intended use (IMHO). My assembly came apart during my first season and I was able to retrieve the black cover plate before it blew overboard. There are two tiny tabs that allow the cover to hinge down for bulb assembly replacement. The entire Hella combination light casing is plastic, and flexes easily. A slapping spare halyard was the culprit in my first loss. I moved the halyard behind the spreader and went up the mast and replaced the cover. In the first instance, the bulb assembly stayed in place. I should have caulked the cover once I had it back in place. Of course, when you go up a mast, you really need to have all the stuff you need with you, and in my case, I had no idea that the fit of the cover to the fixture was going to be so fragile. At any rate, a few short weeks later, during a controlled tack, my 150 genny brushed across the front of the mast as they always do, and the cover popped off due to the flexing of the plastic Hella combination light assembly, and the entire bulb assembly fell to the deck and shattered. The plastic cover was blown overboard and lost at sea. It is a common occurence amongst catalina owners. I know several 350 owners who have had this happen. It happened to me on my last Catalina too, but the dealer repaired that one. Catalina and Hella are pretending that it is not a design flaw and expect the owners to fix the problem themselves. My dealer even sent me a metal cage to install over the light, but can't get replacement parts from Hella. I am told that Catalina has stopped using the Hella assemblies in Florida made boats. I did see a different type combination mast light on the new 309 so at least Catalina seems to understand the problem. I was amazed at how many mast lights were broken when I walked the yard a few weeks ago. Our Association should approach Catalina as a group, and try to get a fix for those of us who have lost our deck lights due to faulty construction by Hella. I have written to both Catalina and Hella. My dealer was responsive with the metal cage, but that is all. My deck is still in the dark. Sorry for the rant but I am convinced we have a situation where the part used by Catalina, was not fit for its intended purpose.
Tim
Nora Clare
Chips Ahoy!

Deck Light bulb

Post by Chips Ahoy! »

-george pringle
Chips Ahoy! #232
Staten Island (Great Kills Harbor), NY
tjr350

Post by tjr350 »

George,
Series 8505 is the right one. Let me know if you are able to get the parts. In the past, they have insisted on replacing the whole unit. My dealer took one apart to fix my last boat.
Tim
Nora Clare #332
Joel Indulgence

Post by Joel Indulgence »

George I didn't even realize there was a plastic cover to retain the bulb. We just plugged the new bulb in and left it, I will ask my dealer about the cover plate and a protective bale to cover it. This is obviously a design flaw worth following up on. Joel