Cutless Bearing Question

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

solstice

Cutless Bearing Question

Post by solstice »

Hello all,
I am a C355 owner who has been lurking for a while as many of the systems between the two models are very similar. One example is the the Shaft Log/Cutless Bearing. I have read through past posts on this site, but didn't find an answer to my question.

I am in the process of changing my CB (Catalina has switched to the Brass shelled CB's) and as I prepared for the 'challenge' of removing the bearing with the shaft in place, to my great surprise, the bearing came out rather easily. I have replaced several CB's on my prior boats and it has always been a very tight press fit situation.

My question is can anyone who has replaced their CB confirm that it was not a difficult removal/replacement? Basically the set screws seem to be the only thing keeping the CB firmly in place and this is a bit of a concern to me.

Thanks in advance
AynB

Re: Cutless Bearing Question

Post by AynB »

I can only speak to our experience. Hull 17, it took a slip hammer and a kludged together ram to extricate the old hard rubber/fiberglass one.
I think that if you found it easy to slip out, it was probably also easily slipping in the shaft log and allowing more wear. I too would be concerned.
al
solstice

Post by solstice »

Thanks Al,

Yes I am concerned. I did talk to Catalina and they claim that it was designed to be a 'light fit', but since this doesn't fit with my prior experiences, I will continue to worry until I see for myself. Right now I don't know of anything else I can do. Thanks again....
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

Just replaced my cutlass bearing. Once I got the old one broke from the paint and other Ca Ca, it came out pretty easy. The new cutlass did not have toe frozen to insert in toe log.
solstice

Post by solstice »

yodagwb wrote:Just replaced my cutlass bearing. Once I got the old one broke from the paint and other Ca Ca, it came out pretty easy. The new cutlass did not have toe frozen to insert in toe log.
Thanks for the info. Were you able to simply push it in or did it take some 'encouragement'? I will not be comfortable with the installation until I turn the engine over; waiting for the boat to settle in the water before I align the engine and then finally test it at the dock....Thanks in advance...
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

For the most part in went in by hand and only needed a couple of gentle taps.