2004 Catilina 350 refridgeration insulation upgraade questio

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

werner/cheryl

2004 Catilina 350 refridgeration insulation upgraade questio

Post by werner/cheryl »

We are looking for the 2009 Mainsheet article on insulation/refrigeration by Jim Gienko. We have acquired at 350 "Oasis" and after one season understand the need for improvements.

Thank you. C/W
KenKrawford

Re: 2004 Catilina 350 refridgeration insulation upgraade que

Post by KenKrawford »

With permission from the author, Jim Gienko, I've included a link https://docs.google.com/document/d/18qb ... ue&sd=true in the original message posting to the entire write up with pictures.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Werner/Cheryl,

You didn't mention what year your C350 was. From what I have heard, some of the early models had very serious insulation issues - hence the artcile from Jim Gienko.

If you have a newer C350, you may want to read the blog on this forum: http://www.catalina350.net/phpBB3/viewt ... f=16&t=225. It's not as extensive of an upgrade, but we found it to be satisfactory on our 2007 model (Hull #422). When we first got it last year, the freezer would frost over 1-2" thick within a month. After filing the gaps around the top of the freezer and refrigerator top doors per the above blog, and repairing the door seal, we now go several months before needing to defrost the freezer. Things stay frozen in the freezer (and sometime in the refrigerator if we're not careful).

Good Luck
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
werner/cheryl

Post by werner/cheryl »

Thank you Gary and Janet.
Your time is appreciated. We have hull 137-OASIS-2004 and we are very taken with her. A great light air boat amongst other things. Given her broad beam her performance is fantastic. We are seniors, but have sailed for years so bought her for comfort as well of ease of sailing.
If you should ever get to sail B.C. waters let us know.
Fair winds,
Cheryl
A touch of humour, all the instructions lack a comment on a frustration easing refreshment-but it's there in the pictures.
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

It appears to be time to re-address sealing the refrigerator/freezer. From reading my earlier post, it has been 2 years since apply the DAP expanding foam in the gaps under the top doors. Apparently it doesn't stay completely sealed over time as we are now getting about an inch of frost on the freezer within a week of cruising. I've replaced the top door seals and even added a new seal on the tapered part of the doors with not much help. I suspect the expanding foam does not stick well to the sides of the freezer and over time is no longer air tight. I am thinking of filling that area again with a flexible silicone sealant that will hopefully be airtight and stay that way. Has anyone put any silicone sealant in the freezer? I've seen several products advertising low temperature sealants for applications like walk-in freezers. DAP Side Winder Siliconized Polyether also looks like it might work well and can be painted. I was thinking painting with standard refrigerator paint would help reduce the tendency for silicone sealants to collect dirt and mold. Any suggestions?

Thanks
Gary & Janet
Fat Cat

Post by Fat Cat »

If you're looking for an alternative to silicone caulking, you might want to look at a product called "LEXEL". It bonds to almost anything very well and dries clearer than silicone.

Fat Cat
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

Fat Cat,

Thanks. Spec sheets look promising. Clean up tools with mineral spirits. Service range to -30F (I suspect that won't be a problem in our 'freezer'). It appears I can buy it at WalMart. Would just as soon have the white version versus clear, but you can't see this area without a mirror anyway.

Thanks
Gary & Janet