Scratch on table top

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's interior here. Are you beginning to see a pattern?

Moderator: KenKrawford

Pgtjs

Scratch on table top

Post by Pgtjs »

I have a large scratch on the table top. The owner's manual suggests using Oxford Hybrid Gloss Varnish from targetcoatings.com. I have called and they have replaced the product with EM2000 at $20 plus shipping for 32 ozs. The customer service person did not sound very aware of the product.

Has anyone had to refinish the table top and would any water based gloss varnish work? I am planning to feather the scratch and then paint the entire top but am open to other experiences on this task

For the rest of the interior, where there are signs of significant fading in some places, would a water based satin varnish finish rubbed on with a lint free cloth work ok? Many years ago I used tung Oil over an exisitng light varnish on interior panels in another boat and after it dried it looked good and stayed ok for several years thereafter. Any ideas on what to use and how to apply? I saw one suggestion that Lemon Pledge with Dust resistance worked well - any comments?

Cheers, Geoff. - Taeko 1V, #392, Blaine WA.
KenKrawford

Re: Scratch on table top

Post by KenKrawford »

Geoff, I refinished my table top a couple of years ago with a water based poly but I can't recall the brand. I sanded with 220 grit paper and sprayed a couple of coats of finish. It looks fine and matches the existing woodwork. The only time I've used tung oil was on bare wood. If you go that route, remember that the table top is veneer. It's fairly thick but you don't want to be too aggressive with the sanding.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
russp

Post by russp »

Hi Geoff,
Two thoughts.
1) We have put heavy clear vinyl on both tables - cut exactly to the profile, some people might find vinyl tacky but I think it looks fine and takes away all worry about future scratches. It "sticks" to the varnish so there is no worry about it slipping and it has a great gloss without ripples and would simply hide the scratch and leave it until you sell the boat or want to take the time for a complete strip and sand and spray.
2) On my boat the dealer left about a litre of water based varnish on board (don't know what brand sorry) and when I "accidentally" got a bad stain on the railing around the sink I simply wet sanded it until the stain was sanded off, got a lint free cloth, and wiped the water based varnish into the sanded surface. It is a perfect match for the rest of the interior and the wife didn't find out and suspects nothing!! Of course this is the matt finished general wood work, not the high gloss poly on the table tops which would be much more difficult to get the surface perfect.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
dvolkman

Post by dvolkman »

When we bought our boat in Nov. 2009, the table top had a lot of marks on it. We decided to send it back to Catalina and they refinished it and sent it back. It came out beautiful! Now we are pretty careful to put down placemats or coasters...but love the way it looks. It wasn't too expensive either.

David V.
S/V Electric Ladyland