I hate my refrigeration

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

malexander24

I hate my refrigeration

Post by malexander24 »

Just venting. Weekly thick frosting of the coil.
Still trying to find the leaks.
Mark Alexander
SV M & M
Kerr Lake NC
TBOT422

Re: I hate my refrigeration

Post by TBOT422 »

Take a look at this thread/blog:

http://www.catalina350.net/phpBB3/viewt ... f=16&t=225

Get a mirror and check out the gap under the top edge of the access doors as descirbed in the above blog. I did this a few weeks ago and found the same gaps. I filled them with the DAP foam, and the frost build up has been much less over the last 2 weeks.

I will add that the DAP foam was pretty easy to work with, although somewhat messy. The good news is that you can clean up the mess with water until it fully dries. Just be sure to empty, defrost and dry out the fridge/freezer before starting.

Gary (Hull #422)
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
malexander24

Post by malexander24 »

I am now liking my system better. I defrosted the system and pulled out the evap coil. I did test holes in the box and found insulation everywhere. I did find many voids where the counter meets the top of the unit. One can of non expanding, water clean up type foam(love that) filled all the voids. I then lined the walls with 1" and 3/4" foam boards. The top of the freeze above the coil was painted plywood, that could not have been good. I also covered the foam boards with reflective bubble insulation too. With and average outdoor daytime temp of 100 deg. this week, I was able to get everything down to where I wanted it. Although during the hot parts of the day, I don't think it ever cycled off. I will add the modification of venting the condenser coil to the outside next.
I also replaced the dial thermostat with a "Coastal MK II Digital Thermostat/Thermometer. I had trouble initially using the modular telephone connector. Once I bypass the POS, it worked much better. It's nice to see what the temp is as apposed to guessing.
Mark Alexander
SV M & M
Kerr Lake NC
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Other than temperature display, does the new thermometer/thermostat give you any other benefits over the original one?
Does is also control the spillover fan?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
malexander24

Post by malexander24 »

This model does not control the spill over, they do have one that has two sensors.
I am satisfied with knowing what the "relative" temp is in the freezer section. When my drinks are cold, the refrig section is fine. The controller has lots of functions but all are not applicable to marine refrigeration. It has a built in low/high temp alarm and defrost settings if needed.
Mark Alexander
SV M & M
Kerr Lake NC