Laz mod

Have you added something to your boat? Got pictures of a project? Post them here at our catch-all forum for the things we do to make our boats better.

Moderator: KenKrawford

malexander24

Laz mod

Post by malexander24 »

I added some gas shocks to the laz cover. It will only come up 90 deg, but it won't fall on my head either.
Attachments
Laz Mod 2.jpg
Laz Mod 2.jpg (56.92 KiB) Viewed 5522 times
Laz mod.jpg
Laz mod.jpg (61.12 KiB) Viewed 5522 times
Mark Alexander
SV M & M
Kerr Lake NC
russp

Re: Laz mod

Post by russp »

Hi, thanks very much for this info. Can you please note the extended and fully retracted lengths of the gas struts you used. I have wanted to do this for ages but couldn't work out what length struts to use and where.

Many thanks
Russ Peel
Avalon. #150
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
malexander24

Re: Laz mod

Post by malexander24 »

I originally bought 20", 20# struts from West Marine. They were too long. I also got the support brackets from them too. Originally they would not close all the way. So I jammed myself into the locker. They were bottoming out just a bit but they were too long and I think too light. At this time I only had one side on. We went to the auto parts store and got some 17" struts rated for 30-39#. This worked much better. If I was an mechanical engineer, I might have had an easier time understanding exactly what was going on. I wish I could have gotten the lid to open up a few more inches but I will need to engineer that at a later time. I hope that help. If you have more specific questions, feel free.

Mark Alexander
Kerr Lake, NC
"M & M",#162
Mark Alexander
SV M & M
Kerr Lake NC