Shore power inlet fried

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Frank Heyniger

Shore power inlet fried

Post by Frank Heyniger »

Acouple of years ago there was a post about a shore power inlet that melted down. I have the same problem and assume that it might be caused by the airconditioner. I am going to replace the inlet but thought it might be a good time to install another inlet for the AC. Has anyone done this and how did you wire the second circuit. Thanks

Frank Heyniger
KenKrawford

Re: Shore power inlet fried

Post by KenKrawford »

Hi Frank,
I'm the guy with the "fried inlet" post :cry: . I'm not positive but I believe that my problem was due to unplugging without turning off the breaker first. I'm now religious about switching off the breaker in the aft port locker before unplugging.
If you are going to run a separate thirty amp power cord to each inlet, then I think you are on track. I frequently see boats that have two 30 amp inlets that are powered by a single 30 amp cord with an adapter on the boat end that splits to two 30 amp plugs. I think this approach is a complete was of time and money.
If you are going to run a separate inlet for your A/C, then you will have to add another breaker near the one in the port locker. From there you should run your wire to the A/C breaker on your panel. You will also have to isolate the hot leg of the wire from the common hot bus on the a/c (shorepower) side of your panel in order to make this a separate circuit.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA