Dripless bearing squeal

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Dave DeSalvo

Dripless bearing squeal

Post by Dave DeSalvo »

While moving Ventosa (hull 383) to a new marina yesterday, the bearing developed a high pitch squeal above 2000 RPMs. Ventosa was on her first trip after being laid up for the winter. Thru hull for water to the bearing is open. Anyone have an idea about what may be going on? Not sure if it is related but did find some black soot like debri in the large starboard lazarette upon arrival in port.

Dave DeSalvo
Ventosa 383
KenKrawford

Re: Dripless bearing squeal

Post by KenKrawford »

Dave, I suspect the squeal you are hearing is coming from your cutlass bearing. I'll bet that it will eventually go away. I can't imagine that the bearing is worn and needs replacement on a boat as new as yours.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
djones

Post by djones »

Just curious if you have "burped" the seal lately. Air can be trapped in the PSS especially if the boat just came out of the water, or if a diver was under the boat, or just small debris may have build up in the area between the shaft bearing and the seal.

Just pull the bellows back for a couple of seconds and let the water flush the seal out and see if it makes a difference.

Don Jones #13 "Onatop"
Oak Island/Southport, NC
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Don, I think Dave has a water injected dripless shaft seal. Usually these do not require burping but there may be a small pocket of air causing the squealing. It probably wouldn't hurt to burp it just in case.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
Dave DeSalvo

Post by Dave DeSalvo »

Gentlemen,

Thanks for your advice on my PSS situation. I pulled the hose from the small thru hull hose off of the nipple this past weekend and allowed some water to escape. Will test this coming weekend and report later.

Dave
Ventosa 383