How are the rope cluthes secured?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Golden Handcuffs

How are the rope cluthes secured?

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

I want to replace the Spinlock mainsheet cleat-thing on the cabin top because it sucks and won't hold the line for long. In Texas parlance, we'd say "it ain't worth a horse's patoot!" How is all the hardward secured? I originally though these these would be through-bolted, but there's no way to get at the backs of anything without removing the headliner, which would be a huge job. Are all of these things just screwed and glued?

Additionally, any suggestions on what to secure it with? I'm contemplating just another Garhhauer rope clutch, though that may be a little restritive. Perhaps a big cam-cleat would be better.
william vanwagoner

Re: How are the rope cluthes secured?

Post by william vanwagoner »

There are threaded aluminum plates molded inside the deck where deck hardware is installed. The screws holding the hardware down srew into these plates.
Bill VanWagoner
Destiny #229
Golden Handcuffs

Re: How are the rope cluthes secured?

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

That makes a bit more sense. With that being the case, it's going to be a lot easier if I find something to replace the Spinlock thing with something with the same hole dimensions. Are there standard sizes/spacings for these?