Cradle for laying mast on top of boat

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's sails and rigging and here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

erinc

Cradle for laying mast on top of boat

Post by erinc »

I will be taking my 350 "Runs on Water" through the Champlain canal in upper NYS this spring. I will need to have the marina unstep the mast and lay it on supports above the deck. There are mutiple low bridges enroute. Basically I need to build a cradle for the mast to lay on. Typical do-it-yourself cradles that I've seen include a stern, bow and mid-section support and are fahsuoned out of 2x4s. I've got a design in mind but wonder if anyone out there has built such a cradle and happend to take a photo they could share. If you've done this do you have any recommendations for me? Thanks. Eric
R.B.

Re: Cardel for laying mast on top of boat

Post by R.B. »

Hi Eric,

I built some supports last year, for winter storage on the boat. Attached are a couple of photos.
Kincardine_sept06 007_2.jpg
Kincardine_sept06 007_2.jpg (78.68 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
Kincardine_sept06 008_2.jpg
Kincardine_sept06 008_2.jpg (63.13 KiB) Viewed 7488 times
Ralph

WOLFHELM
C350 #342
knitchie

Re: Cradle for laying mast on top of boat

Post by knitchie »

This thread is a little old, so wondering whether anyone has additional suggestions.

We are heading down Lake Champlain and through the Champlain Locks to the Hudson River this fall on our way to Virginia. The mast will need to come down and lay in a cradle above the deck to get under the 18' bridges in the canal. We plan to leave our dodger, bimini and solar panels installed, so will need to cradle the mast above them. I assume we will create three cradle points; at the bow, mast step (covering the step from weather too) and the stern.

This presents several problems:
1) Will cradling the mast above the solar panels cause too much instability? I've heard that the C36 rolls a lot with a cradled mast.
2) The cradle point in the stern will need to clear my bimini which ends 6-8 inches beyond the stern rail.
3) We also have the hatches in the sugar scoop transom which we'd like to access and may be too light weight to support the mast weight.

I'd really appreciate some voices of experience and examples of what has worked and not worked for others.

Ken
2007 C350 "Reverie"
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

I went 450 miles with a similar rig down the TennTom and across 3 foot rollers across mobile bay with no problem I would suggest a middle support right in front of the dodger
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

FullSizeRender.jpg
FullSizeRender.jpg (35.94 KiB) Viewed 5458 times
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida
Lulu

Post by Lulu »

What is not shown here is the aft brace over the Davit. It was not installed yet but I think you need three supports so that you don't bounce. And center the mast better
Leslie West
S/V Tiki Hull 154
Docked Pensacola Florida