Install on raw water pump

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Frank Heyniger

Install on raw water pump

Post by Frank Heyniger »

OK, I've just received my new Sherwood pump and would like a little advice on the install. I still have more than a month before I can get into the boat but with the weather lately I starting to think about it. I thought I read somewhere that the
engine had to be started to line up the pump, is this true? Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Frank
Golden Handcuffs

Re: Install on raw water pump

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

I'm about to do this job myself. I tried once, but realized I'm going to need more tools to do it---getting at the bolts that hold it on is difficult.

I think it would be very dangerous to try to start the motor to line up the shaft for the pump, and unneccessary. You can actually turn the pump shaft if you put pliers on it. However (keep in mind I haven't actually done it yet) I think if you get the shaft position about right, you'll be able to stick the shaft in and rotate the pump housing until it lines up with the mounting holes.
Golden Handcuffs

Post by Golden Handcuffs »

Did mine today. Don't worry about what the manual says regarding alignment of the shaft. Just get the pump in, and rotate the houseing until the shaft pops in, then rotate the whole thing into the position you like, then tighten the bolts. You need a 10 mm wrench to do it, preferably the double-ended kind. To install the fittings that go to your hoses, it's much easier to do at home on a vice---with the pump held in a vice and a big crescent wrench, you can really tighten the fittings down. I did it by hand with two crescent wrenches, but it was a huge pain. Though the fittings look like they have some "goo" on them from the factory (putty?), my local universal/westerbeke place said to use some teflon tape on the threads.
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

At 500 hrs, my water pump started leaking. After reading all the posts on our website, and those on the Catalina 34 website, I decided to buy an entire new pump and then, have my old pump rebuilt and keep it as a spare. The best advice was to go to Sears and buy the “L” or stepped box wrench. This made the job a breeze. Same for the advice on the use of the vice to change the hose fittings. Because of all the input, this task was a piece of cake for me. Thanks to all the pervious posters on the subject.