LED anchor light

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

lyle

LED anchor light

Post by lyle »

Has anyone been able to find a replacement LED bulb for the anchor light on the Catalina 350. I own hull #363 (2005) and from what I am able to determine so far (without a trip up the mast) the anchor light is made by Hella.
Hans Grasman

Re: LED anchor light

Post by Hans Grasman »

I use a $5.00 led lantern from Wal Mart as an anchor light. Just hoist it up halfway with one of the extra halyards. The lantern has several settings including a red flashing light. It's a real bargain.
The units last for many nights on the AA batteries.
Having people climb up the mast for installation and repair costs about $75.00 each time they climb the mast.
The admiral refuses to climb or be hoisted up the mast and I will be damned if I will do it at my age. :lol:
Look at Walmart's camping area and you will find many practical LED lights you can use on your boat.
Hans
EvenKeel

Post by EvenKeel »

This bulb looks like it might work:

http://anchor-light.com/Products/BA15ST18W.html

However, I'm not keen to try it myself since I would have to pay someone to climb the mast. Would be an expensive test if I find out it's not suitable.

Gary Benzon
Even Keel II #288
lyle

Post by lyle »

LHella 2492 Anchor Light
LED Replacement Bulb
Replacement LED single contact bayonet bulb for Hella 2492 All-Around Light. Common anchor light on newer Beneteau 36.7 one-designs and other small craft.

Click below to see more data, and to purchase

Bayonet BA15 LED
15-SMD LED
Bayonet Mini Tower
$19.95

Be sure to see our other LED bulbs for boats by clicking on the menu frame on the left side of the screen.
www.marinebeam.com
This LED bulb looks like it may work. I have ordered it and will let you know when I get a chance to install it.
lyle

Post by lyle »

Installed the LED anchor light yesterday - it is a perfect replacement with a .1 amp draw - the old one was .8 amps.
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

I'm considering replacing our anchor light with an LED bulb, and I don't know much about LEDs. It looks like the anchor light bulb is a single contact BA-15S base. I seem to be able to find 12V LED bulbs that will fit ranging in price from around $7 to over $40. I suspect the difference is brightness. The Hella 2492 anchor light talks about being visible for 2 Nm, and Dr. LED has a bulb specifically for the Hella lamp than costs $50. https://www.doctorled.com/store/nav-LED ... H2492-Star Could I use a LED replacement for a standard 1156 automotive replacement bulb? There are standard LED tower-type bulbs and 'water-proof' bulbs that look very much like a regular bulb. My concern is how do I find a bulb that has the same brightness as the standard bulb, and is the advertised 2 Nm range a required navigational standard?

What have any of the rest of you used and are they bright enough?

Thanks
Gary & Janet
The Best of Times (Hull #422)
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

I'll respond to my own request just to keep Dave happy about posting SOMETHING. Here's what I've learned so far:
Hella does not recommend retrofitting incandescent lamps with LED insert.
Please see attachment for further details.

Best Regards,

Kevin Watkiss
Marine & Recreational Vehicles
Hella, Inc.
The attachment basically says that the entire fixture is certified to meet Coast Guard regulations and any substitution of navigation lights could make the lighting 'illegal'. I guess that is not a big surprise as they would rather sell an entire new assembly.

I'm not sure if the Dr. LED light that says it meets the 2 Nm visibility requirement is actually a 'certified' replacement or just a marketing claim. Besides, I'm not sure that it makes a lot of sense to spend $45 on a bulb and climb the mast that may reduce my power consumption by about 10 Ah/day. I'm pretty certain the standard automotive type bulbs that are available for less than $10 most likely are not bright enough to meet the Coast Guard requirements for the anchor light.
Gary & Janet
yodagwb

Post by yodagwb »

FWIW I replaced my bulb with the appropriate style LED bulb, 3 times. Each time the bulb worked fine for a while and then got dimmer and dimmer and dimmer until it looked like I was using a $1 glow stick. I finally just bought a LED mast light assembly and replaced the original light. Haven't had a problem since, nice and bright and the battery volt meter doesn't move when I flick it on. Can't explain it, can only report it.
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

I finally went up the mast to replace the anchor light with the Dr. LED H2492 Star that is supposed to have the required 2Nm visibility. Guess what - the fixture on our mast is an Aqua Signal Series 25. Since I dawdled around for a few months before climbing the mast, Defender won't take back the Dr. LED replacement even though I was purchasing the correct part. So now I have a Dr. LED Star replacement bulb for anyone who would like it. Price at Defender http://www.defender.com/product3.jsp?pa ... id=1393800 is $43.99 plus shipping. I'll take $30 plus shipping if anyone would like it, just be sure you know what light fixture you have on the top of the mast.
Gary & Janet
wcconway

Post by wcconway »

Our plan is to replace our mast light to LED next week while the boat is out of the water. If this is compatible, we will buy it from you.
Wally & Coco Conway
, #467
Pensacola, Florida
rjengelhart

Post by rjengelhart »

Hi Folks,

Looks like my anchor light (bulb) has died. I'd like to replace the entire fixture w a sealed LED fixture; has anybody done this?

What does Catalina use from the factory?

I'm thinking maybe an Aqua Signal Series 34 and hoping that mounting lines up.

Appreciate any insight.

Thanks
Bob Engelhart
SV Andiamo
Hull 464
TBOT422

Post by TBOT422 »

You don't have to replace the entire fixture. You just have to be sure which fixture you already have on top of the mast. We wound up using the Dr. LED Polar Star several years ago and it works great. Power draw is almost not measurable.
Gary & Janet
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

I would like to replace my anchor light with an LED bulb but my yard manager tells me that I would have to replace the entire fixture, and perhaps the mast wiring. If I don't, the LED bulb will screw-up the reception from the masthead mounted VHF antenna which also serves my AIS. Has anyone heard this; is it true? Thanx, Jim
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Jim,

I had also heard this when I was contemplating going with an LED anchor light bulb. If I remember, the Coast Guard had also written a piece about this.

Again, if I remember correctly, back in the day, some LEDs would emit radio frequency interference (RFI) noise. Bulbs sold today, have pretty much fixed that issue.

To be sure, Google "Are Your LED Lights Causing VHF Radio Interference?" and "BoatUS". In that article, they have a way to test your LED bulb for RFI impact.

I replaced mine with a LED bulb several years ago and never had the problem.

Bill W.
Atlanta, GA
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Thanx for the info Bill. Do you remember any details from the LED bulb that you used such as brand, model, base type, etc. to save me from making 2 trips up the mast??? Best, Jim
Jim Lassiter
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Jim,

I live in Atlanta and my boat is in Charleston, SC.

I believe I have the info you are asking for on the boat. I hope to be back in Charleston in a few weeks.

I'll make a note to dig that info up for you.

Bill
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Jim,

I just dug through my files and found the info!

The bulb is from DoctorLED. It is a H2492 Star. P/N 8000067.

It's not cheap at $50.

https://www.doctorled.com/store/nav-LED ... H2492-Star

Bill
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

The replacement bulb we used on our 2003 came from marine beam. Only about $12. Part # TW-GE89-CW (single contact, cool white). Fit fine and works well.

https://store.marinebeam.com/compact-ge ... ood-perko/

They also have an interesting tri-color replacement bulb that is pretty highly rated:

https://store.marinebeam.com/led-tri-co ... tion-bulb/

I decided to go the KISS route and keep the all around white light an all around white light, though.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Thanx for the great info Bill and Olivia Mae!! Bill, what year and hull number is your C-350??
Thanx again, Jim
Jim Lassiter
ElizabethG

Post by ElizabethG »

Hi Jim,

My 2004 C350 hull # is 193.

Bill
Atlanta, GA