Rapid coolant leak- Can't find!

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

EvenKeel

Rapid coolant leak- Can't find!

Post by EvenKeel »

I purchased hull #288 recently from a dealer in NJ. During the pre-purchase inspection (after it sat for the winter), I found much of the coolant in the pan. I assumed it was sloppy winterizing, but made sure that there was plenty held "in escrow". When I took delivery, the system was cleaned up and re-filled. No drips were found during the sea trial, and only a few drops after 36 straight hours of motoring during the delivery to the Chesapeake Bay. But when I returned to its new slip after two weeks, I found a pint of coolant in the pan. I've checked everything I can find, including those things that others have complained about leaking such as the overflow return hose. I did find a small leak where coolant enters the heat exchanger, but fixed it. Subsequent running and a cool down produced another pint, but I still can't find the source. I've checked the pump, the pressure cap, and every coolant hose I could reach. My next step is to clean it up and place absorbant pads under the whole engine to narrow it down.

Are there freeze plugs on this engine? Is it at all likely that the block or head could be cracked? Can anybody suggest where I might look next? The dealer already released the escrow (without my signature) and is blowing me off. Yes, I should have had an engine survey........

Thanx in advance.

Gary B.
Even Keel II
Herrington Harbor North
Last Boat

Coolant Loss

Post by Last Boat »

I too have had a coolant loss. Mine has leaked mostly in the winter months. Last week I had my engine mechanic put pressure on my fresh water cooling system to find the leak. He did and it was around the heat exchanger. It has been repaired so I will cross my fingers that there are no others.
Nelson Gainey
C350 #345
Last Boat
EvenKeel

Found it

Post by EvenKeel »

Nelson:

Thanks for the reply. Earlier today I did a much more diligent search, and low & behold, the problem was the fresh water hose attachment at the heat exchanger. The original clamp was defective and I replaced that last week, but I didn't crank down hard enough on the new one to seal the leak. That hose is very stiff.

While I was back there skinning knuckles, I noticed that the zinc anode still had the original Universal paint on it after two years. Nothing left of the zinc. Wondering what damage might have been done.

Gary
Even Keel II #288
LONGHAWK

exchanger zinc

Post by LONGHAWK »

I get about three months life out pf the exchanger zinc in Gulf Coast waters