roller furling main shape

Post your technical questions or solutions about getting the best performance out of your boat here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

LONGHAWK

roller furling main shape

Post by LONGHAWK »

Has anyone else experienced a "cupping" on the leach of the main with the roller furling main? Mine seems to take a "set" due to being rolled most of its life. Has anyone developed good use of the leach line to address this?
It definitley takes on different shape on STBD VS Port tack. I love the convenience, but wonder if others can teach me a few things.
Sam
LONGHAWK #173
tracker

Re: roller furling main shape

Post by tracker »

LONGHAWK wrote:Has anyone else experienced a "cupping" on the leach of the main with the roller furling main? Mine seems to take a "set" due to being rolled most of its life. Has anyone developed good use of the leach line to address this?
It definitley takes on different shape on STBD VS Port tack. I love the convenience, but wonder if others can teach me a few things.
Sam
LONGHAWK #173
I am surprised that I did not see a response to your concern. Other 350 & 34 owners with furling mains have told me they are having the same problems. None of us have been able to solve this issue. It was suggested that the mast is not tuned correctly thereby a different sail shape on Starboard vs Port tack. I find it difficult to reach the leech line and, when I do manage, it is difficult to keep it cleated. I am experimenting with trimming the sails under different wind conditions hoping to solve the problem with proper sail trim. Sometimes the sails look perfect, then other times I just can't seem to find a solution to reducing the flutter on the leech. If I ever figure it out, I will let you know. Hopefully someone will get back to us with some answers.
Dale #382 [
color=darkblue][/color]
LONGHAWK

main leach issues

Post by LONGHAWK »

Thanks, it still is a concern. I believe that the time spent furled causes a "set" to the trailing edge. On STBD tack its bad. On port tack it's less noticeable.
When sailing for a day or so (offshore non-stop) the leach softens and it's less noticeable. Still non optimum, but sure beats hoisting a main!
dedgell

Post by dedgell »

I am just exploring the forum, lots of great info. I know there has not been any activity on this thread for awhile, but maybe it will be helpful to somebody to read of my experience.

I've been fighting this roller main "curl" since Blue Wing (#442) was new. The boat was on the dealers lot for a year when we bought her, so we always assumed the curl was caused by the main being rolled for a year. We've tried everything to eradicate the curl, which causes the main to flap on one tack when going upwind. We've attempted to flatten the sail during the winter, had it washed, adjusted the leech tension - all to no avail.

Finally, last season our sailmaker recommended recutting the leech. We had him do this over the winter last year. It helped a bit, but the problem is by no means solved. But it is less.

I've come to accept that the sail is poorly cut, and that the problem will only be solved when I replace it with a new main. Our sailmaker has never dealt with this problem before even though he services many furling mains. Likewise, I've not seen this problem on other boats with furling mains. The sail is in good shape otherwise and will last for at least several more years, so I'm living with the issue. Overall, it is a very minor issue with an excellent sailing boat!

David Edgell
Blue Wing#442
Rock Hall, MD
c350ia

Post by c350ia »

I too have the "leach curl" issue as well as leach vibration whenever I am close hauled at more that about 12knots of apparent wind.
My leach line is pretty tight but does not appear that tightening it really helped much.

I wonder has anyone added small vertical battens?
I wonder if it is worth doing on a 14 yr old sail, even though it is in otherwise good shape.

Trevor
S/V TREVI #460 2008