Hunting VC-17 Facts or Fiction Bottom Paint

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

tranquil

Hunting VC-17 Facts or Fiction Bottom Paint

Post by tranquil »

Ahoy! Tranquil's bottom came with VC-17 (and I hope the previous owner put a barrier coat down first). A local marine supply store told me that the makers of Interlux VC-17, Akzo Nobel (AN), exited the paint business and there are little to no old stock left. West Marine told me that AN re-formulated their re-formulation and finally re-obtained EPA approval; are waiting on new labels and will start shipping end of March. However, limited stock availability because they are thinking will exit the market after this.

That Petit is making a comparable product that will hit the market this year but require removal of VC paint and barrier coat in order to replace with Petit barrier coat & new paint.

What do you hear?
What bottom paint and barrier coat do you use --in Fresh water? in Salt water?
Thanks
Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
Olivia Mae

Re: Hunting VC-17 Facts or Fiction Bottom Paint

Post by Olivia Mae »

It looks like you're up on the Great Lakes, so, IMO, you can't find a better bottom paint for up there in the fresh water. I recoat mine yearly. It only takes just a bit over 2 qts to do the 350, and it's a very easy paint to work with, though there are a couple of tricks involved as it evaporates quickly. Nothing else sticks to it other than VC offshore, so you would have to strip it all off to change paints.

The manufacturer had to change the formula in the states a couple of years ago because a biocide they used in it (irgarol) was banned. The new formulation is VC17m (old formulation was VC17m extra), and I've seen no difference in protection the last year or 2 I've used it. There was a supply issue either last year or the year before because of the change. As far as I know, there is no plan to discontinue it in the states and it's still listed as available on Interlux's web site. There often is a bit of a supply shortage this time of year so I've gotten in the habit of buying mine in December of the year prior so I have the color I want and don't have to search in the spring. I see they're offering a rebate if you buy between Feb and June, so maybe I'll wait next year.

So that's in the US, but I heard it was taken off the market in Canada last fall. Not sure what's going on with that.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

More on the issue up in Canada and how to apply VC offshore over VC17 here:

https://www.brewersmarine.com/media/Int ... uation.pdf

FWIW, VC Offshore is is a different kind of paint than VC17. I saw a guy using it a couple of years ago when the reformulation caused a supply shortage. It's thicker and less smooth, and doesn't seem as hard. You will need gallons instead of qts. It goes on like any standard ablative paint. I've heard it doesn't work very well in salt water even though it is supposed to be made for that. Likely fine for fresh water.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
Dream Chaser

Post by Dream Chaser »

Hi Guys

We’ve had vc17 on our hull for about ten years as thats what most racer types swear by around here. It always bothered me as it was such a dirty substance given the fact its made to wear off into our lake water. A couple years ago i started looking for a better option. I found Pettit HRT Eco which is a copper free anti fouling bottom paint. I put it on last spring and sailed all over the lake for about five months before lifting the boat for winter. The paint shows hardly any wear and was applied over vc17 with only a light sanding to remove any loose paint. The Pettit compatibility chart advises this. The paint goes on thick and creamy and is easy to clean up as it is water based. We gave up no hull speed either. Two coats was recommended but wanting a good test, we only applied one which for a C350 was one gallon. Sadly its not available in Canada so i bought mine at West Marine in Nags Head, NC. Staff there are great.
Needles to say we’re very happy with this product.

Cheers

Tom and Pam
Dream Chaser hull 237
Oakville, Ontario
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Olivia Mae/Scott & Linda - thanks for the reply! HOW DO YOU GET AWAY WITH JUST 2 QUARTS????? PLEASE TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!!!!
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Tom & Pam - thanks for the reply! Please keep us updated annually as to how the Petit replacement fares.

Questions:
Did I understand correctly that the C350 hull required One gallon of Petit?

Did you just paint over the VC17 or strip it all down, including barrier coat, put on a new BC and then 1 gallon of paint for 1 coat?

Did you/do you paint the lead keel below the "thank God we dont have it Catalina crack" where the hull joins the keel?

Thanks
Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
tranquil

Re: Hunting VC-17 Facts or Fiction Bottom Paint-RED

Post by tranquil »

Another marine supply told me that ONLY RED VC-17 will no longer be manufactured; the other colors will be. For the foreseeable future......

??????
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

Tom and Pam,

Nice find. I didn't think anything could be painted over VC17 because of the teflon in it. From what I found on the petit compatibility chart, it would be the hydrocoat line rather than the HRT line that is compatible. Either way, it's nice to know there is another product I could use in the future, and something that can be used in salt water if we ever decide to go that route.

Thanks!
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
Olivia Mae

Post by Olivia Mae »

tranquil wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 1:22 pm Olivia Mae/Scott & Linda - thanks for the reply! HOW DO YOU GET AWAY WITH JUST 2 QUARTS????? PLEASE TELL ME YOUR SECRETS!!!!
Here's the trick for VC17. It evaporates quickly, so if you paint with a standard tray and roller, most goes into the air.

Get a 2 liter drink bottle with a pull up sippy top on it (you can find them cheap on Amazon). Take a funnel and dump the copper pouch into the bottle first, then dump in the paint. Close the lid and shake it til it's mixed well. Use a 4" short napped roller and a small roller tray that just fits the roller. Dribble the paint directly on the roller, and only use enough each time to coat the roller. Paint quickly. The paint dries in about 10 min. Like I mentioned, it takes just over 2 qts to do my boat with 1 coat each season. I alternate between buying 2 qts and 3 qts each year, and just store the extra in the bottle. VC17 is an unusual paint to paint. One thing I really like is the ability to paint the spots under the cradle pads while the boat is on the slings when we launch it, since it dries so quickly.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

THANKS!!!
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
Dream Chaser

Post by Dream Chaser »

Yes thats right Teri. One gallon painting from waterline right down under the keel. Preparation was just a light sanding of the old vc17 and then pressure wash off the dust. Once dry roll on the Pettit. One gallon easily covered everything below the waterline. Scott it is the Pettit HRT ECO Copper Free Anti Fouling Paint.

Cheers Guys

Tom
tranquil

Post by tranquil »

Thanks!
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com