Fuel lift pump

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Lunazul

Fuel lift pump

Post by Lunazul »

Hello all.
We have our boat Lunazul in The Sea of Cortez. Our home port is Puerto Escondido near Loreto.
Last spring our fuel lift pump failed. The only thing we could find to replace it was an Edelbrock pump that we bought at an Autozone. We soon noticed white smoke in the exhaust.
This fall our injector pump failed. We contacted Westerbeke to try to get the psi specs for the lift pump. They replied that they didn’t have that information but that the Edelbrock pump may have too much pressure and can cause failure of the injector pump and injectors.
I then called facet-purolator the manufacturer of the pump. They recommend a 3.5 to 4.5 psi pump. They told me the Edelbrock that is rated 4.5 to 7 psi may run over 10.
To be safe we ordered the Westerbeke pump #039275 from Catalina Direct. The Facet mfg number stamped on the bolt flang is 40 185. That pump is rated at 9 to 11.5 psi which by the information given me is way too high.
Does anyone know what the original lift pump specs are? Or does anyone have an original lift pump that they can check the stamped numbers on the bolt flange?
Thanks Corey Sheffield
Lunazul 372
Olivia Mae

Re: Fuel lift pump

Post by Olivia Mae »

That's the correct part # per the parts manual for your M35b engine. Don't know the specs. Westerbeke just mentions it has to be capable of lifting fuel 5'. If it were water, that would take a minimum of a little over 2 psi for a 5' head.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
Lunazul

Re: Fuel lift pump

Post by Lunazul »

Thanks. The Westerbeke # is correct. I’m thinking that Westerbeke put the wrong pump in the box. Facet-Purelator makes the pump and. Information I have received is that the psi of the pump should be in the 3 to 4 psi range. The Facet #40185 that I got in the Westerbeke box is rated for 11.5 psi. I don’t want to redamage my injector pump by installing a pump that is to strong.
The Facet # is stamped in the metal bolt flange on the base of the pump.