Engine coolant drain locations

You guessed it. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's engine and transmission here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

belladonna

Engine coolant drain locations

Post by belladonna »

I've read several good articles in the Form relative to changing engine (35-B) coolant but can't find one showing/locating the drain locations. There is a drain petcock on the bottom of the heat exchanger and obviously at the thermostat housing (which I would think would be to purge air from the system) but there has to be another drain somewhere!! Page 14 from the Universal Operating Manual shows a M-35B coolant drain plug, but I can't locate it on the engine. Any advice/information/pics will be gratefully appreciated.
Thanx, JIm
Jim Lassiter
2005 Catalina 350 "BELLA DONNA" # 368
White Stone, VA (lower Chesapeake Bay)
tranquil

Re: Engine coolant drain locations

Post by tranquil »

Ahoy!

I had the same issue. When facing the engine, the "head" of the drain bolt is directly behind the oil filter. Can't see it because the engine indents in that area. I found it by feeling for it. Then used extenders in order to remove it. Some one else suggested placing a kitchen garbage bag around/underneath it to catch all the coolant so it doesnt go everywhere and need to be suctioned out. I then measured how much I got out to adjust how much I put back in.

Hope this helps.
Teri
Teri Weber
Tranquil
Hull #187
Chicago
Tranquilcat42@yahoo.com
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Thanx Terri - I'm heading to the boat this afternoon and will try to find it.
Cheers, Jim
Jim Lassiter
belladonna

Post by belladonna »

Terri - Found the fitting and opened it but not much coolant came out, guess I had gotten most of it out with the Heat Exchanger drain petcock.
Next time I will open this fitting first and then the exchanger petcock. Emptied and cleaned the overflow tank and refilled. Used about 1 & 1/4 gallons of coolant total so guess I'm in the ballpark.
Cheers, Jim
Jim Lassiter
Triumph

Post by Triumph »

You will have to bleed the air out of the coolant system after filling. The obvious place to do this is the bleed vale on the thermostat housing. But, that is not the highest point. There is also a bleed value on the water heater, which believe it or not is higher up. If you do not do this you may not have hot water.

Bill
TRIUMPH
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

Triumph wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 8:28 am You will have to bleed the air out of the coolant system after filling. The obvious place to do this is the bleed vale on the thermostat housing. But, that is not the highest point. There is also a bleed value on the water heater, which believe it or not is higher up. If you do not do this you may not have hot water.

Bill
TRIUMPH
Correct.

And, always a joy to access the coolant port on the water heater to bleed out the air (NOT).
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL