Running Light Wiring?

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's electrical systems or electronics here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

ps23435

Running Light Wiring?

Post by ps23435 »

Greetings all. My port (red) running light stopped working. The green and white stern light work fine. When I took off the cover I found the wiring on the inside quite corroded with one terminal corroded off. Easy fix....given how corroded it was, I ordered a new fixture, installed it, wired it up and of course it doesn't work. When I check with my meter I find no power at the fixture (and yes, I should have checked that first but the corroded terminals seemed to be the obvious cause). There's power at the switch panel and obviously for the starboard and stern running lights. I have no idea where the wiring splits from the panel to the three fixtures. Any ideas on where the issue might lie appreciated.
Pete & Anita
Slip Away #437
Hampton, VA
D&M

Re: Running Light Wiring?

Post by D&M »

Hi,
My port running light didn't stop working but I tore it off S/S mount and all with my Assy tack line. When I installed a new light the wire to the light was black with corrosion and no voltage was detected at the two connectors. In my case I was able to cut off about 6" of external wire to expose slightly less corroded wire, whilst all the time promising myself I would rerun a new cable later. Anyway, after I cut off about 6" there was still evidence of corrosion, but I obtained battery voltage. Good enough for me, I connected a new light with a butt connector and heat seal and it is now working. At the first instance it fails I will rerun the cable - I promise.
That said I know you can see the cable exit the push pit post from underneath the forestay tang by removing the panel in the anchor locker. After that I imagine the cable is accessible from the panel at the fwd end of the forward cabin (the one you access the anchor winch motor from) and then down the port side of the cabin underneath trim. I shudder to think where it joins to the stbd light...
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
RFBaker167

Re: Running Light Wiring?

Post by RFBaker167 »

Might need to pull new wire through bow pulpit and splice. Corrosion May have gone into wire
Regards, Bob Catalina 350 #167