Fridge freezer divider bulkhead

One of everybodies' favorite topics. Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's refrigerator here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

D&M

Fridge freezer divider bulkhead

Post by D&M »

Hi all,
I have an issue with smell in my fridge and freezer. It is self inflicted, in that when we last turned off the freezer we inadvertently left a cryovac-ed expensive steak in the freezer compt. It was jammed between the evap plate and the outer bulkhead of the freezer ie unnoticed. Our system is fairly unique in that we installed a second Danfoss BD50 and evap plate in the fridge section. (I live in the tropics and no amount of insulation was going to provide a working fridge/freezer with a spill over fan.) When we are not travelling, we turn the freezer off as the new BD50 in the fridge runs on shore power as well as 12v.
So back to the problem, when the blood from the aforementioned steak ran into the bottom of the freezer compartment and subsequently into the fridge the smell started. I have now turned off and emptied the fridge as well to deal with the smell. I find the divider bulkhead between the fridge and freezer to be part of the problem as it is not sealed at the bottom and tends to allow nasties from the freezer to the fridge. When I attempted to remove this bulkhead by taking the screws out it seems to be screwed from both sides and some of the screws in the freezer compt are partly concealed by the evap plate which is a pain to remove and reinstall.
Has anyone removed this bulkhead between the fridge and freezer and if so, how did you do it?
Cheers,
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
KenKrawford

Re: Fridge freezer divider bulkhead

Post by KenKrawford »

David I’ve never removed the bulkhead you’ve referenced but have a “long shot” possibility. I’m a retired veterinarian and frequently had to deal with blood on a white smock. I found that full strength hydrogen peroxide would completely remove the stain. I don’t think you have anything to lose by giving it a try. If you’ve already applied other liquids they may negate some of the peroxide benefits but in a worst case scenario you may end up with a “bleached blond” freezer.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
D&M

Post by D&M »

Hi Kent,
thanks for the reply will try that.
Cheers
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
D&M

Post by D&M »

The hydrogen peroxide solution worked very well. The smell is completely gone.
Thanks.
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Great ! Thanks for the update. So are you saying that was a "bloody good" fix?
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
D&M

Post by D&M »

Sorry Ken didn’t see this reply until now. My notifications don’t seem to work will have to investigate. Bloody oath mate. Great fix. :D
Regards,

David
Sea Lanes #281
Cairns, Australi
a