Hot water temp

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's plumbing here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

stevewitt1

Hot water temp

Post by stevewitt1 »

Staying on my boat I use the hot water often. At my galley the water never seems hot enough for me. Yesterday I checked the temp with my laser temp gun from Harbor Freight. I consistently get readings of 107°-108°. The boat is “new to me” this summer. I will be hauling in another week or so then being more able to access the water heater.

Is there an adjustable thermostat on it?
Do they have a mixing valve on the hot discharge?
Do you put a bypass kit on it for wintering?

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated

Steve
Oconto Yacht Club on The Green Bay
Of Lake Michigan
www.ocontoyachtclub.com
rickkremel

Re: Hot water temp

Post by rickkremel »

Hi Steve,
We keep our 350 just a few miles north of you in Menominee. Feel free to call me and I’ll walk you through the water heater bypass.
Rick
262-391-4801
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

Steve when you measured the water temperature were you plugged into shore power? Under that scenario the heating element in you heater might be suspect rather than something inhibiting the flow of coolant through the heater as occurs when you're motoring. Your hot water should be at least 125 degrees or more. I think there's a temperature control thermostat but I'm not positive. I believe there's also a high temperature limiting switch that has a reset button. You have to remove the cover to the electrical connection to access them.
I found the easiest access to the heater was via the port cockpit locker. Remove the shelf and there's a decent amount of room to work.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
stevewitt1

Post by stevewitt1 »

I have seen several replies by people on this thread, and others, referring to the best access to their water heater on the port aft hatch in the cockpit. I’ll check mine again today and my water heater is without a doubt on the starboard side of my boat. It's lower but just inboard from the fridge compressor. It’s a 2006 350. Is mine weird or did the person have dyslexia when they assembled mine? I didn't take the shelf out yet. Are you people that talk about access through the port aft cockpit hatch crawling down in there and working on the water heater on the other side of the rudder mechanism? After running my engine to get back up river from the Bay (about 2nm) to my dock the water was still 107°. When I get the shelf out so I can see I'll know if there's an exchange loop from the engine there. I don't recall any boat I've looked at for the last several years have all had an exchange loop.

I suppose I should have added. My 350 is Hull #394
Last edited by stevewitt1 on Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Of Lake Michigan
www.ocontoyachtclub.com
russp

Post by russp »

Stb side definitely on mine, and I would imagine all, hull #350.
Russ Peel
Avalon #150
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

russp wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 8:07 pm Stb side definitely on mine, and I would imagine all, hull #350.
Yup, it is located starboard cockpit locker aft end. Remove the shelf over it for access from above.

Or, if you are skinny and flexible, see posts below if you want to get "down on its level".
Last edited by wolfe10 on Mon Oct 03, 2022 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
KenKrawford

Post by KenKrawford »

My heater is also on the starboard side but found that removing the STARBOARD locker shelf didn't provide adequate access. Once the PORT shelf is removed there is ample room to move to the starboard side and work on the heater.
Ken Krawford
Message Board Moderator
C350 # 351
Lake Lanier, GA
wolfe10

Post by wolfe10 »

KenKrawford wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:19 am My heater is also on the starboard side but found that removing the STARBOARD locker shelf didn't provide adequate access. Once the PORT shelf is removed there is ample room to move to the starboard side and work on the heater.
Agree.

Depending on the size of the individual and their flexibility, agree access from the port side is possible (and was when I was younger and thinner).
Brett Wolfe
C350 #180
"Vindaloo"
Ft Myers FL
Pgtjs

Post by Pgtjs »

Hi, I own C350, 2006, #392. The HW heater location is as described - starboard under the fridge compressor "shelf". I took the wood shelf/box above it out the first year. Very difficult to access to turn the pressure relief valve off over the winter when I drain it. You have to be a flexible midget to get at it across the steering gear etc. Having the second access hatch outside the stern pulpit is helpful. I made it even more complicated by installing the diesel heater unit and related piping on the bulkhead (to the big lazarette) above the hot water tank. I heat the water using the Heater system and have fully disconnected the main engine as the source - much more efficient fuel wise and takes about 45 minutes: always nice around here to have a little heat in the mornings if you wish to operate that part of the system as well. Also we can still use shore power if plugged in.

Cheers, Geoff. Taeko 1V, Semiahmoo, WA.
Geoff.S., Semiahmoo, WA.
stevewitt1

Post by stevewitt1 »

Thank you to everyone! I am heading over there today and hopefully I will take the shelf out and see if it’s possible for me to accomplish something. I will post an update and note the frustration or lack thereof in this mission of mine.
Of Lake Michigan
www.ocontoyachtclub.com
stevewitt1

Post by stevewitt1 »

Well I haven't attempted to grease my body down and try to slide in the compartment on the port side yet. Actually I won't attempt it if I'm over at the Club alone for fear of getting stuck in there, LOL. Some truth to that! I just put a call into Rick in Milwaukee that offered to walk me through the bypass Now my immediate mission tomorrow is to drain the water heater for the winter.

If I take the hot water feed to the hot manifold and the cold feed from the cold manifold will it drain? I'm hoping not to have to pressurize the tank to get most of the water out. I don't know if I'm able to reach the drain valve (if it's still there and not replaced by a zinc) and reach the pressure relief valve to open it. I don't like touching them as my experience had been terrible getting them to seat properly again.

Any suggestions or help appreciated
Steve
Of Lake Michigan
www.ocontoyachtclub.com