Prop + Net = *@#!!

Post your technical questions or solutions about your boat's hull, prop or rudder here.

Moderator: KenKrawford

Bob_A

Prop + Net = *@#!!

Post by Bob_A »

Its happened to many and it happened to us last Friday am.
Leaving our marina and motoring out the Vancouver Harbour we went through a very benign, somewhat unavoidable, little line of stuff in the water.
Right away I was aware of a change in sound. Then a decrease of speed by perhaps 1.0
prop net.jpeg
prop net.jpeg (203.11 KiB) Viewed 615 times
kn. Then an increase in engine temperature which has never happened. Then grey smoke out the exhaust which again I have never seen. I suspected debris wrapped around the prop so we slowed and turned back to our marina. The fact that I had just adjusted the valves the previous day was really weighing on me as this too can be a cause for grey smoke.
Plus we have had weeds on the prop before but never these symptoms, so did I bugger up the valve adjustment?
Once at the dock I got out the endoscopic camera, taped the camera wire to the boat hook and pointed it under the boat. Sure enough a big blob of something on the prop. Cherie dawned the gear and went under and indeed a huge handful of plastic net. Fortunately it had not melted on prop, shaft or near the cutlass. Away we went again and all was (happily) completely normal.
These cameras are so handy. Mine was a bout 140.00 on Amazon. I use it for all sorts of things. Perfect for viewing into the timing hole and observing the TDC mark.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC
Olivia Mae

Re: Prop + Net = *@#!!

Post by Olivia Mae »

Nice catch, (so to speak). Concerning the timing mark hole, where exactly is it? I took a quick look recently, but couldn't find it. Also planning on adjusting valves once I get the correct gasket and seals.
Scott and Linda

Olivia Mae
C350 Hull #53
Erie, Pa.
Bob_A

Re: Prop + Net = *@#!!

Post by Bob_A »

Sorry for the delayed response. The timing hole is adjacent the aft starboard engine mount. Slightly above the horizontal engine mount plate and in front of the mount bolt/nut. About a 3/4" hole +/-
Good info in both the Universal user and tech manual.
Bob & Cherie
Cheeky Monkey - Hull 363
Vancouver, BC